Chapter 21

Nala looked around nervously at the high walls of rock that surrounded her. The small canyon forced them into single file and left them vulnerable to attacks from above. She did not like it, but they had not found any other way to move forward.

It was the groups second day in the mountains and they could now see the peak of Moroth's Tooth on occasion as they climbed through a higher point in the terrain. Since the encounter with the Silverfangs they had encountered few creatures that posed any significant threat to them. A single Rock Smasher had ran across the group on its hunting trip, but had decided it was better to run than fight.

Rock Smashers were large, grey skinned beings that got their name from the fact they used large rocks as weapons that ended up smashing most human sized victims like a boiled potato. Despite sounding fearsome, they were unlikely to cause problems unless encountering an entire clan of them or disturbing their nest.

A more sinister obstacle had been the purple ooze that had inhabited a cave they'd eyed for shelter for the night. It was sheer luck that all it had gotten was a dagger from one of the elves who, for some reason, had stumbled when entering the cave to ensure it was safe. The dagger had landed on the ooze and the following sizzling sound had alerted them of danger. Torches had been thrown in which revealed the ooze that covered the cave from floor to ceiling. Had anyone actually ventured into the cave the consequences would have been less than pleasant given the fact the dagger had begun to melt the moment it hit the ooze.

So they had spent that night on the outside. Cheid had been most eager to get a sample of the purple ooze, but Nala and Gareth had managed to talk the young wizard out of it. They'd rightly pointed out that he did not have the needed tools to retrieve a sample of it safely and that now was not the time to take undue risks. Grudgingly, the young wizard had relented and given up.

Nala sighed out of relief as she exited the canyon with her horse. The path widened quickly and allowed the group to form up once again in a more suitable fashion. She rode up next to Leo. Gareth and Cheid were already talking with him with Ahnilr close by as well.

“How long do you suppose it'll be before we reach Moroth's Tooth?” asked Nala when the conversation between Leo, Cheid and Gareth died down. They had been talking about Leos armour, though mostly it had been Cheid asking questions, Leo dodging them the best he could and Gareth grumbling about how he had never seen the need to use armour. Of course, it was quickly pointed out to him that not everyone had the benefit of troll blood flowing in their veins.

“With luck we'll reach the base of it late tomorrow,” said Leo as he looked forward at the now visible tip of it. “I'd hate to get there right as it gets dark,” he added.

“Why is that?” asked Cheid.

“That's when the worst of the creatures come out,” replied the young knight. “I'd rather we have time to seek a proper shelter and set up camp with time.”

“Why don't we start looking for a suitable camping place after midday, set up camp there and then move on in the morning?” suggested Ahnilr. “A bit more rest before entering Moroth's Tooth would do good for all of us.”

Leo nodded. “That sounds like a reasonable plan.”

“I'll tell Relait,” volunteered Gareth and stopped his horse so the elf captain could catch up to him.

“Once we reach the base of it, then I can't really guide us much further,” said Leo. “We'll have to start relying on Nala.” He still wasn't exactly certain how the young elf could know the way, but seeing as the others seemed to place their trust in her ability to guide them properly, he went along with it.