Chapter 16

It was morning when Nala came to once more. Her head was killing her again and she felt like someone had stuck a straw inside her and sucked out every drop of energy she had.

Before even opening her eyes she remembered what had happened. Despite knowing it was not her fault, despite the fact that she had despised the man, she felt tears roll down her cheeks at the memory of him burning to death. Why? Why had the goddess done that? His dagger had certainly not posed any threat to either her or Loriel. There must have been some reason. The goddess would not kill an elf on a whim, would she?

She felt a gentle touch on her cheek as someone wiped away a tear. Nala opened her eyes, expecting to see the comforting face of Ahnilr, but to her surprise she found herself looking at the face of Gareth.

“Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you,” the big man said and looked ashamed.

Nala smiled weakly. “It was time to wake up anyway.”

“How do you feel?” asked Gareth. The genuine concern that shone through in his voice warmed Nala's heart.

“I've been worse,” replied Nala.

Gareth chuckled. “That's not very reassuring coming from someone who has been dead.”

Nala managed a laugh herself even though it made her head throb even more. “It's just a headache. A bit of food and a lot of sunlight and I'll be good as new.” She looked around and was relieved to see the room had a window and that the curtains were drawn open, letting the light in. The room seemed luxurious compared to others she had seen. There were soft carpets covering the floor, a real high quality mirror, a desk, several comfortable looking chairs. Even the bed she was in was large enough to hold three more people and the mattress felt like she was resting on a piece of cloud.

Gareth noticed the way Nala was looking around. “The empress was kind enough to give us all rooms in the palace for the night.”

“Despite what happened?” asked Nala weakly.

“She knows it was not you. That it was the goddess and her judgement that took Nerduin's life. To be honest she seems almost grateful about it.” Gareth tried a smile, but it soon died when he saw that Nala was not amused.

“Why did Loriel do that?” asked Nala out loud to herself.

“Ahnilr has a theory about that,” said Gareth. “She'll discuss it with you once she return from the Tower.”

“The Tower?”

“They're trying to wake up Skander to see what that last trick up his sleeve is.”

“Will they be able to? He wasn't that well off yesterday.” Nala had her doubts whether the old wizard would ever wake up, despite his bold claims about having an understanding with death.

“Skander's a tough nut. Tougher than me,” said Gareth. “He'll pull through.”

Nala just nodded. There wasn't anything she could do about it. Right now she needed rest. With help from Gareth she got up and took a seat by the window.

“You really like the sunlight, don't you?” asked Gareth as Nala sighed with pleasure.

“It's..complex, but I don't think I could live without sunlight,” replied Nala as she looked out the window at the towers and ceilings of the imperial palace and the garden beyond them. “I was changed, my life tied to an Elf Tree. I think in the process I became partly a tree.”

“Ahnilr told me your story,” said Gareth. He had thought his half-bloodedness was a difficult thing at times, but it paled in comparison to what the young elf before him had been pulled into. “At times it's not easy being different, but if you keep in mind that it is what we do that most defines us in other peoples eyes, then you are bound for a better life.”