Chapter 2: Greetings from the Green Ones

After our pillow fight, Kenzie announced that she should head home. Kayla and Sarah agreed, and I volunteered to walk with them.

"Hey guys, let's cut through this alley. It's faster," I suggested. My friends followed me into the dimly lit alley.

The alley was longer than I thought. I stopped to see how far we'd come when a voice made me jump in shock.

"Come on! The city won't patrol itself!" a voice growled.

"Raph's right. We always take too long getting to the surface because somebody had to go pick up every little piece of trash," another, stern voice said.

Sarah narrowed her eyes. "Who's there?" she shouted into the darkness.

"Shell!" a the first voice said again.

"Someone heard us!" a new person said, lowering their voice to a loud whisper.

"Yay!" yet another voice exclaimed, not bothering to be quiet. A noise came from a sewer grate but by the time we all turned to it, the manhole was in it's proper place.

"Mikey! People can't see us!" the third speaker scolded, voice still lowered.

"Oh, right. Awww," the last voice said, sounding childish. This last person still wasn't being quiet; the other three shushed him.

"Guys, the names I've heard so far are Mikey and Raph, and they're in the sewers," I whispered to my friends, waiting for them to make a connection. Sarah's eyes widened when she realized what I was talking about.

"You don't think-"

She was cut off by the manhole scraping open, and a giant form climbed out.

"Mikey! No!" three voices chorused. As the hulking form stepped out of the shadows, I gasped.

In front of me was Michelangelo! Not the artist; the mutant turtle!

"Whoa!" Kayla exclaimed at the sight of her favorite turtle. I gasped, taking a step back. Kenzie froze, her mouth open in a 'o'.

Sarah dropped her jaw, staring at Mikey with astonishment. "No way," she murmured. "No. Way."

"Hi! I'm Mikey!" he said cheerfully, sticking out his hand. When none of us made a move to take it, he let it fall to his side, the smile never leaving his face.

"I like pizza and comic books, and I'm a ninja!" he informed.

"Uh, aren't you forgetting something?" Sarah asked, gesturing to the turtle's unnatural form as three more turtles climbed out of the sewers.

"Oh! Uhhh....." Mikey trailed off.

"Maybe that fact that you're a huge turtle?" Kayla suggested, the look on her face saying 'does that ring a bell?'

"Oh! Yeah!" Mikey laughed. From behind him, Raph, Leo, and Donnie looked at us suspiciously.

"You aren't freaked out?" Leo asked.

"Uh.. No! You guys are super cool!" I answered, making up a reason so I didn't say they were on TV. I also had to hide my grin, I was so excited. And then, to make the lie even more believable, "Were you guys some kind of experiment gone wrong?"

"Abby, why are you-" Kayla started, but was cut off by Sarah as I turned to shoot my Mikey-loving friend a glare.

"Wait!" my hot-headed friend halted the conversation. She pointed to Raph, Leo, and Donnie. "They have weapons out."

While I had been looking at Kayla, Michelangelo's brothers had drawn their weapons. They were ready to fight.