twenty

Five years ago

Five years ago...

Emyln

Mom and Dad are fighting again.

Rosa came into my bedroom an hour ago – neither one of us likes to be alone when they're yelling at each other. We should both be used to it by now: the endless arguments, the unsaid words, and the deadly silence that permeates the house. But we're not. The truth is, it hurts to see how quickly our family is falling apart. And this is the only way we seem to be able to get by: by cuddling under the covers of my bed and crying.

Well...Rosa's crying. I'm not this time. Maybe it's because she's two years older than me and understands this mess better than me. Or maybe it's because I like it a heck of a lot better when they're arguing because at least it means they're talking – the silence is worse because it lets the emotions simmer beneath the surface. Whatever the reason, I'm not crying. Yeah, I feel freaking sad and hopeless, but the tears won't come.

"I wish they would just get a divorce already," Rosa sniffles.

I look at my big sister, shocked that she'd even say that. "Rosie. You can't say that. Mom and Dad are just going through a rift in their marriage. Like you said."

Rosa looks up at me, her eyes puffy and red-rimmed, and shakes her head. "I know I said that, Emmy, but it's been almost two months now. If it were a rift, they would have solved it by now. I think this is something different."

I contemplate her words for a moment as I think about all the other parental problems I've heard about from friends. My sister has a point – this isn't just some simple fight if it's been going on for this long. The mood I'm in delves deeper into misery. What are we supposed to do if Mom and Dad do end up getting a divorce? I don't want to be moving from one house to the other every second week. That's just ridiculous and it never works. And what about Rosa? I look at her. What if she ends up wanting to stay with Mom and only visit Dad or vice versa? That would mean spending less time with her. That can't happen. She's my big sister, and even though we fight like normal siblings do, I'd miss her too much.

"Rosie," I whisper, feeling like a little kid again.

"Yeah, Emmy?"

"Promise we won't separate through all this. If worst comes to worst and Mom and Dad divorce, promise me that we'll stay normal."

Rosa flips onto her side and stares at me beneath the light of my lamp, instantly sobering up. "Emmy," she says firmly. "We're sisters – no matter what happens, none of this is our fault and it never will be. You and I will always be close."

I smile through the dread I can feel deep in my heart. "Even after you graduate high school and go to Kelowna for university."

She nudges me back. "Of course. Just like you'll come to visit me when you're in Ontario with Hainsey."