Chapter #46

(Sky's POV)

     I can only anxiously pace around as we all wait for Max and Ross to open us the hidden door to the catacombs. I know it's a really big place, probably bigger then I can remember, but every second that ticks by feels like hours. What if they got caught? What if they got lost in the tunnels? Is there even any light down there, I can't remember!

      The rest of the army is gathered around me, everyone split into groups. I'll be going to the throne room with a small group while everyone else is spread around the castle. Am I really ready to give up my freedom and bind myself to Adam's name forever? I don't have a choice anymore. I've been trained most of my life to be the perfect ruler, to be just like him. Would my parents be proud of me? They never did want me to rule, they never gave me the chance. And........ I pause my thoughts to take a quick look around me. Where are we again? Who are these people? Ugh, why can't I ever remember anything? I guess I'm gonna have to wing this until I can think of anything. Dang it, and didn't Ian just tell me I was getting better? Is he even here?

     Before I can make any more sense put of my situation, a loud metal sliding sound comes from beside the steel door. My gaze snaps to the entrance as more of the metallic sounds ring out. It suddenly swings inward with the hinges making a grinding sound. There stands Max, coated in dust and with Ross clinging to his back. "Well, we're back" he chuckles, exiting the tunnel and coming out into the nighttime forest. "Way to go you guys", headphones says, smiling. So they must have done something good. "What now, Prince Adam?", one of the generals as me. I mentally take note of his blond hair and the short person beside him.

      My body switches back into auto pilot, slipping back I into the kind-of-trance that is my training. "We'll all stay together until we need to break off into the various groups. We move in three minutes, get your groups ready", I order all the generals and Don. I look back beside me to see my own group. Ty, Ian, Jerome, Mitch, and Quinten are coming with me. I can't bring Jason, I left him at the safe spot with the other citizens. I don't want to risk his safety even if he did throw a tantrum. He just wanted to find his dad, but I don't want Jason to find him dead, because kindhearted Len would of surely stopped following orders once Jason was safe.

     "Are you all ready?", I ask them, my formal and cold tone remaining in my words. "Not until our Sky is back", Mitch smirks, crossing his arms. "What?", I ask in confusion. "Where's the guy busted me out of prison?", Jerome asks me. "Who's the one who saved me?", Ty fires. "Is my first real friend somewhere in that thick skull of yours?", Ian chuckles. "You c-can be a Prince later, right now we need Sky", Quinten insists. They don't want Adam? But he's so much better then me.

    "I'll try....", I mumble, looking down. "We'll wait", is the response. Before I can reply, I get a tap on my shoulder. The female captain, Stacy I think her name was, it looking at me with an expectant gleam in her eyes. "We're all ready to move out on your command", she tells me. My friends may be willing to wait, but the revolution won't. I nod, turning my gaze to the gathered soldiers. "Well, it's now or never. We either win today, or lose forever. Let's make this a day to remember", I yell out to the troops. A corses of cheers and shouts and people yelling "We're with you, Adam!", break out. The last one makes me wanna puke.

     With that, I plunge into the passage with my team right on my heals. Everyone else follows in their respective groups. We soon all break off into the different passages. One groups stays outside to create a distraction once the sun is up. I can't believe that it's all come down to this. I'm really back here in my childhood home. Not that I ever had much of a childhood. Right now, I can remember walking some of these passages with Adam at my side. He wasn't always so mean to me, I just think staying down here in the catacombs messed with his head. It was important to our parents to keep him hidden. He'd talk to me a lot, more then anyone else. He probably only did it because I was trained to be completely loyal to him. But I can't stop wondering about how things might have turned out if I tried to be his friend instead of a servant. If I didn't let him use me as a chew toy. Something that would eventually be thrown away, along with my dedication to my brother. Is this for the best? What would of happened if I hadn't snapped that faithful day?

     I pull away from my thoughts as we round one last corner. A large stone room greets us, iron cases lined up in rows. I briefly recall playing hide-and-go seek here when I was 4, but I push the memory away. The many sealed caskets feel like they're watching me. All the great Kings of the past rest here, some dating back to the first rulers of GoldenEye. "This is a little depressing", Ty mumbles. "I remember that only royals are allowed in this room", Mitch chuckles, making a scraping sound on the floor with his foot. Quinten is a little too nervous to say anything. "I never thought that I'd ever be in a castle", Cobblestone says. "Hey Sky, can I be in here when I die? I bet I'll be the first hybrid. People will come down here a thousand years and be like "Why the heck is he in here?", Jerome laughs.

     "We can talk about this later, we have a squid to kill", I say, adrenaline starting to build in my veins. The bloodlust of battle is calling out to me. It's finally time to end this. No more running. I lead my small group over to a stairwell, quickly climbing up and standing in front of a wooden door. This is a servants' entrance into the throne room. I look back at the determined faces behind me, before turing back and taking a deep breath. This is it. My final stand. I'll either win, or I'll die trying. I shove open the door and launch myself into the room, breaking my fall with a role and landing in a crouch with my golden sword drawn in the guard position.

          But my breathing almost stops when I see the two people standing across the throne room.