Chapter #9

(Sky's POV)

Ian said that we could start going to the guild, so both of us get out of the bush and started walking. Ian says that if I tried to run, the insane assassins would track us down in less then 24 hours. So, no point in running. I make sure that a layer of dirt still coats my shoulder before we enter the trees. I see a butter colored flower out of the corner of my eye, and smile at its beauty.

     "So Ian, what should I expect when we get to the guild?", I ask. "Well...... we're not exactly like people believe. A few do have little things wrong in the head that won't be excepted elsewhere. Most people are actually just pretending. It's kinda like getting a brand new life, learning to forget the old memories. There's a certain freedom in no one expecting  good from you. I'm the exception to this rule since I unfortunately grew up here. Salves usually forget anything before slavery, but you remember at least some of it. So Red might use..... darker methods", Ian says while shuddering at the end.

     "What do you mean?", I ask. "I only saw it used once before, on a solider who managed to escape the slave traders. He didn't forget his old life or willingly leave it behind, and was given this other method instead. I have no idea where they come from, but the guild has this potion. It's designed to remove a certain piece of memory. Then memory that said person is using to anchor themselves. This guy's name was Ross. He had an older brother that he promised to live for. The potion erased all memory of his brother from him. He's basically insane now......", Ian explains.

     My mind goes blank as the realization hits me in the head. I could loose even more of myself then I've already lost. "Ian? If I forget something important, please remind me when you think that I'll listen", I beg him. He gives me a sympathetic look, and nods his head. "Just.... try not to say that I'm not completely acting insane. I understand that if you........ forget, then you might not be able to avoid it, but please try", Ian asks. "I promise that I'll keep your secret the best I can. But, I have one more thing to tell you, incase I forget", I say. "On my shoulder, is some kind of birth mark. I've never seen it, but someone who did told me too keep it covered up. That the right people would one day see it and understand. She just told me that I have to live because of it, and I don't want to forget my promises".

     Ian looks curiously at my dirt-covered shoulder, and then says, "You sure make a lot of promises!". I laugh at his attempt to lighten the mood, but there's no real emotion behind it. Once again, I'm empty. I repeat the words in my head, hoping to never forget them. I quickly add one to the list, as well.

     My name is Sky
     I was a solider
     I was a slave
     I'm going to be an assassin
     I will not be afraid

(Time skip)

Turns out, the guild hall was in the middle of nowhere. It's just a giant building in the middle of a jungle. If it wasn't for the trees that the building was leaning on, I doubt it would still be standing. I can see people jumping around the trees and outside of the building every now and then, but I wonder how many I can't see. How many are just watching us. It still boggles my mind that people could enjoy living so crazily.

Ian took off his sunglasses and put them in his pocket. I could sense his shift in personality immediately, and Derp looks over at me with an insane smile. "Ian says to be nice to you, but I'm just going to ignore you", he says in a voice that grates my ears. He giggles uncontrollably at his own words. Oh Notch help me.

Once we get closer to the rickety building, a figure drops down from the trees. He wears a gray hoodie, with a squirrel tale connected to the bottom and a narwhal horn strapped to his hood. Um...... I don't have any comments on these guys anymore. They've all lost it, act or not.

"My n-name's Ross", he says is a somewhat shy voice. Ross? The person who lost the memories of his brother? Is this what I have to look forward too? "I think Red asked me to take you to see Dan first, then either the training hall or kitchen. I don't remember", he says in a much more childlike voice. He constantly moves from foot to foot while talking, but stays deathly still when being quiet. Derp gives me a farewell salute while grinning, and runs off to who knows where.

Ross starts walking off, and I quickly follow to avoid getting left behind. We walk through the hall of the guild, holes peppering every surface. Various people roam around. I see one person wearing a mask and staring at a wall. A name tag on his shirt says that his name is Sub. Weird name, but why is he wearing a name tag? Another person lays in the middle of the floor, blocking off the path. She's wearing an orange hoodie and pants, a hood over her face. Brown hair spills out from the hood, and orange fox ears are connected to the hood. She rolls over onto her stomach at our approach. The back has the name Sonja. That must be her name. I shudder at the way these people act. I'd say that I'm afraid, but I'm not. My brain just says that i should be scared. But I'm still calm. Hopefully this calmness will help me keep my sanity.