Chapter #45

A/N so freaking hyped for this sh*t (excuse the language, I'm just really exited to write this)
(1.54k reads!!!)

(Ross's POV)

     After Sky left, the person with red hair seemed to follow me around like a shadow. I asked him why, and he said that he wasn't loosing me again. I don't really know what he means by that. The weirdest part is that I didn't mind him being around me so much. I actually kinda feel better knowing that he's looking over my shoulder as I made the squid costumes. When someone else volunteered to wear the other one and go into the castle with me, he said that he was already doing it. I don't remember him saying that before, but I was glad. My head hurts a little bit whenever I'm around him. I don't know why, but I like his presence more than I dislike the pain.

And now we're standing in the forest outside of GoldenEye. Max and I are in the costumes, blue paint smeared in our hair and on various parts of our body. We look like hybrids this way. I know Sky is somewhere talking to the other people in charge. It's kinda weird to think that we're the good guys now. I know that Vikk is helping the really tall blond person do his part of the attack. Sub is with the Liblicen general, and Red is joining them in the distraction. Dan finally decide to test out his weapons and go with the girl's group to the tower walls and dungeons.

     Red head and I? We have to start it all. A small cave entrance is here on the forest, but a door about 10 feet in is locked from the other side. It's made of mental and would make too much noise if we tried to ram it down. So now I'm walking down a quite city street, the squids letting 'squid hybrids' in without questions. Although I get the feeling that they don't really like hybrids. A few people glance at us, but I'm glad to see that there's not very many people around. Everyone must be safe, then. I don't remember where they went. Who even took them there again? Never mind, I'm suppose to be paying attention.

     As we walk, my gaze is snatched away by something half familiar to me. It's a single story house, paint weathered away and falling apart. Cellar doors are in the ground on the side of the house. My headache comes back full force, making me bite my lip. "Are you looking at the house? Does it remind you of anything?", a voice from beside me asks. I turn to look at him, surprised by the emotion in his brown eyes. He doesn't seem like the type to get very emotional. I was about to tell him yes, but the felling is gone along with my head ache. I don't even remember what had me looking at it in the first place, it's just another old house. "I don't think so", I shrug. My companion nods and looks away, seeming to be sad about something.

Before I can say anything else, we turn a corner and my eyes widen. Even with the lapis flags and dirt-covered exterior, the castle is still beautiful. It towers over all of the other buildings, yet seems to be part of the small structures around it. The front wall is dirty, but commands attention from all who see it. He main part of the building has tall glass windows that leak light into the surrounding sky. Even as I look at it, I can see a clear image of what it used to be like. But how do I know that there used to be statues of rearing horses at the front doors?

Another pair of guards stopped us at the door. "What do you want in the castle, hybrids?", the taller of the two asks, seeming to be seizing us up. I can't help but internally laugh at his look of dismay when he realizes that my friend is obviously stronger then him. "We're from one of the western outputs. We have business with the Glorious King", he says. The squid guard then looks to me. I don't remember where I learned this, but I know that squid hybrids are put into pairs. That way they're not so independent. The both of us essentially matter as much as one full-blooded squid. If we were real hybrids, I would be the recessive partner because I'm smaller. I don't talk, only follow orders. I simply lower my gaze from the guard. Who made that system? Why would squids be watching each other so closely, even if they are hybrids?

     "Alright, you may pass", the guard says after I remain silent. The final gate is pulled up, and we both walk inside. That was actually really easy. Why hasn't anyone thought of doing this before? I follow behind my friend until we get to a small door on the side of one of the side hallways. There aren't very many squids patrolling in the halls, and they were easy to dodge. We memorized the layout before coming in here. Well, I may have forgotten it. But I'm sure that redhead knows where we're going.

      He pulls open the door, and we quickly slip inside. The passage is instantly plunged into darkness as the door swings closed. "Oh, well we didn't really think this through, did we", he chuckles. I don't like the darkness that surrounds us. It seems like imaginary monsters are reaching out for me. Too scared to even make a sound, I find myself hugging my friend's arm, scared about loosing him in the darkness. I'm just a little too short for my head to rest on his shoulder. "I-It's ok. We're ok", he stutters, shock evident in his voice. "I'm scared", I whimper. He freezes for a second, before I feel him turn and crouch down. I yelp as I'm hoisted onto his back. My arms and legs instinctively wrap around his back and torso. "Better?", he asks me with a laugh. "Better", I agree. He must be really strong if he's willing to carry me like this. But why does he care?