Chapter 16: What I've Been Waiting For

Start from the beginning

I didn't see Megan either. She must be late, or maybe she's talking with the Coach. Either way, I'm still screwed. I don't know anyone here, and initiating social interaction isn't exactly my thing.

So, I walked over to my locker, opening it in one try. I mentally patted myself on the back for that accomplishment. I grabbed the iconic navy blue bandana, that was tied around a zipper on my bag, and I tied it around my ankle, making sure it was secure and wouldn't fall off. I began to do this ever since that football game I went to, and my best friend gave me something that she loved.

I lifted my ankle, placing it on a chair, that was situated near my locker, and began to tie it around my ankle.

"Who are you?" I heard someone ask, but I wasn't sure if they were talking to me.

They were talking to me.

After I finished, I turned around and saw a girl, that looked twice my height. She was practically staring down at me, while I hyperextended my neck. Her brown hair was tied up into a french braid, and her fly away's were secured with a Nike headband.

"I'm Lia. I'm here for a tryout." I was going to smack myself in the face for sounding so pathetic. And for my voice cracking mid-sentence.

"A tryout? Tryouts were months ago. Why are you even here right now?" She asked, her blue eyes turning into ice.

"I transferred in August. I wasn't aware that tryouts had already happened." I answered, and tried my hardest not to sound harsh. One, I didn't want this girl to eat me alive, and two, I didn't want this girl to eat me alive.

"No one wants you here, rookie. This team will be better off without an amateur."

"First off, Im not a rookie. And before you even think to second guess me, you can find my stats on Google. I'm certain they are better than yours. And second, I belong to be on this team just as much as you are." I crossed my arms across my chest, and stared at her blankly.

Her nostrils flared, but I didn't have a care in the world. Everyone deserves a chance to tryout whatever sport they want, regardless if they're new or not.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." I spat, walking away after she continued to stare me down. The most important thing in softball, is to be fearless. Fear can prevent you from doing something you want to do, so don't let it stop you. At least, that's what my Dad would always say.

"What was that?" Megan stopped me. Thank goodness, I have someone to protect me from Shrek over there.

"Some girl was practically criticizing me for trying out to be on this team." I ranted, and I could feel my face heat up from anger.

"That's the way it is. This team is so used to each other that they hate change. Especially if it's someone that could ruin their chances of a scout coming to check them out." She explained, and I nodded my head.

"Sure, but that gives her no right to try and scare me." I scowled at Shrek, as she was talking to other girls on the team, occasionally looking my way.

"Just forget about them and just focus on yourself. That's what softball is, right? You have to play so damn selfish it's not even funny." She breathed. I understand where she's coming from. That's the way this sport is.

Just as she finished her sentence, I noticed the familiar form of the Coach from my peripheral vision. He was wearing a blue T-shirt with 'Warriors' outlined in gold. That was the teams colors. It was similar to the one back home, and that was blue and white (with accents of black).

He stood there with his hands on his hips, scanning the locker room to make sure all of his players were present. He was serious about this team, and I could definitely understand especially with how hostile he's been. It was definitely a stretch when he called me about a tryout, but I wanted him to know that I wasn't going to give up my chances to play ball in college. It's taking up so much of my life I couldn't give it up now.