42

While Damon went to go inform Bonnie of the new developments involving the previous inhabitants of Mystic Falls, Matteo went to go to his fiancée. He found her at the Mystic Grill sharing a drink with her sister. He hugged her from behind, shooting a smile at the older Mikaelson female.
"So you're my brother-in-law-to-be."
"Nice to meet you Rebekah. I've heard a lot about you."
"Hmm, I can't say the same."
"Bex!" Siobhan scolded.
"That's okay." Matteo shrugged. "It's been a millennium since you've seen each other. You've got a lot to catch up on."
"Why don't you pull out a chair? I think it's about time I get to know you more. You know, if you're going to marry my sister." Matteo sat down next to Siobhan and she took his hand. "How did you two meet?"
"Well I'd just woken up from death and all and I was in an unfamiliar room. I was confused because the last thing I remembered was Katherine draining me of all my blood. I went to go see where the hell I was and I bumped into her."
"Aww. So where were you?"
"That I didn't figure until a while later. Siobhan and I just started talking and talking..."
"That was the start of a beautiful friendship."
"You started out as friends?"
"It was a while before we were anything more." Matteo told her.
"Yeah, Matty was too hung up on his last girlfriend." Siobhan teased.
"Girlfriend?"
"Katherine." She told her sister.
"You dated Katerina?" Rebekah scoffed.
"It's a common mistake. You know how it goes. Naive human, manipulative doppelgänger..."
"Still, you and Katerina?"
"He thought he was in love."
"I was young."
"You proposed to her." Siobhan laughed as Rebekah glared menacingly at Matteo.
"Do you even want to marry me, or do you want your sister to kill me before we get the chance?"
"She wouldn't kill you." Siobhan ruffled his hair slightly.
"Yes I would." Rebekah said dryly.
"Maybe you would but you won't."
"I wouldn't make any promises just yet."
"If it makes it any better she killed him when he proposed." Siobhan said.
"I don't care. My sister isn't anyone's second choice."
"I love Siobhan. She's not nor will she ever be my second choice. I didn't know her when I was human, and who I loved then doesn't matter. Siobhan is the person I'm destined to be with. I know that in my soul."
"And now, I'm going to barf."
"You're never going to approve of me are you?" Matteo asked her.
"Well, last time I saw my sister she was a fourteen year old who barely knew what a boy was. And now as soon as I'm reunited with her, I have to share her with her to be husband?"
"I'm not an object, Bekah!" Siobhan frowned.
"I don't mean it that way. It's just, I'd love to get to know you again. But now I'm going to have to come over to your place because you'll be living with him."
"And you'd be living with Niklaus anyways, because he's your brother. Besides, for the time being we'll be living in the boarding house and you're living in the boarding house."
"Matt, what do you think of Niklaus?" Rebekah asked him.
"Seriously, Becky?" Siobhan raised her brow. "Matty's incapable of actually hating anyone, including Niklaus."
"So what are you? Some sort of saint?"
"I am not a saint, and I am not incapable of hating anyone. Just haven't found someone that I can say I hate."
"So who's side does he take whenever you and Niklaus are in an argument? Like right now?"
"It's not my place to take a side. It's a family matter, and I'm not exactly a part of the family-"
"Yet." Siobhan cut him off. He smiled lovingly at her.
"I should let you two talk, before your sister can make me find more creative ways I can start to dig my grave."
"Go." Siobhan laughed. "Be careful."
"Hey, you're the reckless one." He grinned, kissing her forehead softly. "Bye Rebekah."
"I'll find you later on, and we can have a chat. Just the two of us."
"Looking forward to it." He called walking out. He bumped into his brother walking in who dragged him back inside the bar. "Yes Damon? I was on my way out."
"And now you're coming back inside." Damon pulled him over to Alaric
"You know, I've had enough vampires today, thanks. Uh, no offence Matt."
"Absolutely none taken." Matteo shrugged.
"Oh, come on. Have a drink with me. We've got trouble."
"No, you've got trouble. See, we're not a team. You tried to kill me. All right? We're not friends. I don't like you anymore."
"You did what, Damon?"
"I know it was wrong, bla bla bla." He rolled his eyes at his brother and turned back to Alaric. "But remember back when you liked me and we conspired to kill Uncle werewolf Mason Lockwood?"
"Yeah, and?"
"Well, I think he's still a little pissed."
"Is there anyone you haven't killed?" Matteo asked his brother, exasperated.
"Well, let's see... How many people are in town, again?"
"Not funny, D. You can't just go round killing whoever you like."
"Why not? We're vampires."
"Being a vampire is not a license to kill. That is not your life to take."
"Can we just skip the lecture? I get. Killing is bad. Message received loud and clear."
"Somehow I doubt that."
"You might want to keep the volume down, if you don't want to scare off the other customers." A man walked over.
"Mason." Alaric greeted.
"God, I miss whiskey." He sighed taking a swig from a glass before attempting to smash it on Damon's head. Matteo caught his arm. "You're new. Who are you?"
"All that time on the other side and you haven't bothered to check up on us?" Damon said sarcastically. "Although, I do have to admit. That was a hell of a greeting this morning."
"Yes, well, I figured I owed you. You know, an eye for an eye, torture for a torture. Lucky for you, I'm not exactly after your heart."
"Stop." Damon replied dryly. "You're making me blush."