30

"Hey, Elena." Siobhan said. It was her birthday party and birthdays meant presents. Matteo had left for the day to give the girls some space.
"Hey Siobhan." She smiled though it didn't quite reach her eyes.
"What's wrong?" She asked. "You wish he was here?"
"Yeah." Elena replied softly. Siobhan gave her a hug.
"Come with me." She took Elena's hand and led her outside. It was pretty dark but a few stars twinkled. "Look up."
"Stars." She said. "They're pretty, I guess."
"No, Elena. Think of it like this. No matter where you are or where he is, he's under the same sky you are. Under the same stars. And right now at this moment in time, he's probably looking at his phone, gazing at a picture of you, wanting to call you. He's probably thinking of you, and muttering the words 'happy birthday, Elena' hoping they reach you somehow."
"Or," Elena said deflated. "He's sucking someone's blood because Klaus told him so."
"No." Siobhan said.
"How do you know?"
"Because he loves you. No matter where he is, what he's doing, he loves you. So he's probably," Siobhan put a finger under Elena's chin, raising it so she was looking up, "looking at these stars, thinking of you, whispering into the night sky 'happy birthday, Elena' picture of you and him still on his phone." Siobhan deepened her voice to sound like Stefan and leaned over into Elena's ear. "Happy birthday, Elena."
"You're such a romantic!" Elena giggled as Siobhan laughed with her, pushing her away. "Thank you. Really."
"Anytime." Siobhan slung an arm around Elena's shoulder and they headed back inside.

Soon enough, they split up- Elena was surrounded by people wishing her. Siobhan walked over to Caroline who stood with a sour look on her face.
"Caroline?" Siobhan asked.
"Hey, Siobhan."
"What's wrong? Come on, you threw an awesome party, you should be enjoying it." Siobhan followed her line of sight, to see Tyler dancing with another girl.
"Well I'm not."
"Ah, Tyler. You finally realised you do like him."
"Yep."
"And summer is almost over, so maybe it's time you go over to him. Tell him how you feel."
"He's with slutty Sophie."
"Mmhm." Siobhan smiled.
"Don't mmhm me." She said, as Elena walked over.
"What's wrong with Care?" She asked.
"Tyler." Siobhan said.
"Ah, Tyler." Elena nodded.
"Can you guys stop 'ah tyler'-ing?"
"Dude likes you. Give him a chance."
"What were the wise words you said to me last year, Care." Elena pretended to think. "I believe it was along the lines boy likes girl. Girl likes boy. Sex."
"Hmm, profound," Caroline grinned causing Elena to smile. Siobhan's phone rang and the girls nudged her outside.
"Heya darling." Matteo's voice sounded through the handheld device.
"Hi, hows it going with the elders?"
"Well, I got through to half. So the votes split fifty-fifty. A tie."
"You're kidding?!" Siobhan grinned.
"No. So we've all got to be here Thursday afternoon to vote."
"Oh my god! Congratulations. This is cause to celebrate."
"Not yet. I mean, it's in the hands of the people." He sighed. "And some people don't want the law to be abolished."
"This is the furthest we've gotten Matteo. I mean, what did you say?"
"That is a face to face conversation."
"Matty, what did you promise?" She asked him sternly. She sensed Elena coming out behind her.
"Later, I will tell you later."
"Fine, are you coming back tonight, or tomorrow?"
"I'll be back in an hour. I love you."
"Love you too."
"Is Matt in trouble?" Elena asked.
"No, he's just doing what he always does."
"Saving someone?"
"No." Siobhan chuckled.
"Falling out of the sky? Because that's happened twice already."
"No." Siobhan laughed again. "Come on, this is your party, go on back inside. Unless... you don't want to go back inside, do you?"
"No."
"What happened?"
"Damon's been tracking Klaus and Stefan. There are newspaper clippings stuck in various states on a map in his closet. He said he wasn't tracking Klaus's victims, that he was tracking Stefan's. But Stefan, he wouldn't kill this many people, he never would."
"People with Klaus rarely have a choice with what they do. He's probably protecting Damon and you."
"Me? Klaus has had his ritual. He doesn't need me."
"Yeah, but he was also never told you were alive, right?"
"He left before he found out."
"Exactly. It's an advantage for Stefan, so he's going to do anything to keep you safe because if Klaus knew, then the moment Stefan screwed up, Klaus would use you against them."
"Oh."
"He cares about you, be happy about that."
"How can I, when he's throwing his life away and I'm part of the reason?"
"Be happy he still cares for you. Be happy that you gave his life some meaning, because he wouldn't be doing this for you if you hadn't. And that's why he's going to still be fighting for you and that's one of the best things you can do for someone. Give them something worth fighting for."
"You think?"
"I know." She smiled before taking out a locket. "So I didn't really know your ancestors so I don't have something of theirs to give you but here."
"It's beautiful." She smiled, before opening it. On the left was a picture of her family- her brother, her parents, Jenna and her. On the left was a picture of Siobhan, Caroline, Bonnie and Elena.
"That's" Siobhan pointed at the two pictures. "Two families you are a part of."
"Thank you!" Elena gave her a hug, smiling now.
"Of course."