4

"There's a whole family of Originals?"
"My father was a wealthy land owner in a village in Eastern Europe. Our mother bore seven children." Elijah explained to Elena.
"So your parents were human?"
"His whole family was." Matteo told her.
"Our origin as vampires is a very long story, Elena. Just know...We're the oldest vampires in the world. We are the Original family, and from us all vampires were created."
"Right, but Klaus is your brother. And you want him dead?" Elena couldn't understand how he could ever wish his brother dead.
"I need some air. I'm still feeling a tad...dead. Come." Elijah stood and walked out of the back door. The mansion had an impressive backyard that they were strolling through. "So as you've seen, nothing can kill an Original. Not Sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree. A tree my family made sure burned."
"Control freaks." Matteo grinned.
"That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from." Elena realised.
"Yes."
"The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth." Matteo cut in.
"Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain the balance."
"So the Sun can't kill an Original. Why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the Sun and Moon curse?"
"Right. The curse of the sun and the moon. It's all so...biblical-sounding, don't you think?" Elijah grinned, and Matteo couldn't help by smile.
"What's so funny?"
"The year we met Katerina, a Roman parchment crossed our path. It was then Niklaus admitted he liked the African scrolls he etched more. Though I, myself, prefer the Aztec drawings more. Whenever there's a shaman involved, people are more inclined to believe in it."
"I- I don't understand." Elena stuttered. "I don't understand. So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches about the curse?"
"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, and any other culture or continent we felt like planting it in."
"But why?"
"Easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout."
"So it's not Aztec at all?"
"The curse of the Sun and the Moon is fake. It doesn't exist." Matteo let her know.
"How do you know all about this?" She asked Matteo. "It sounds like a secret or something."
"When I first met Klaus and Elijah, I knew there was something off. So I did research upon research upon research. Until I found the truth." Matteo explained.
"And Klaus didn't kill you?"
"You underestimate me, Elena. I'm not that easy to kill. Once he realised, he went about trying to befriend me instead."
"You're friends with Klaus?" She asked, scandalised.
"I'm likeable." Matteo shrugged.
"So why are you helping us kill him?"
"I'm doing no such thing. I came to town a little late, if I'd gotten here earlier, I would have kept you quiet, convinced you not to go after him in the first place. But since I got here after he did, and I know how much my brothers care about you, how much it would tear them apart to see you hurt, I can't stop them. I love my brothers, and I'm not going to stand in the way of their trying to save the women they love. I'm not evil."
"Matteo is honorable, Elena." Elijah told her. "And above all, he values family."
"But you lived without your family for so long." She furrowed her brows.
"I knew my brothers were alive. And for a hundred and forty five years, I couldn't go see them. It was one of the hardest things I've had to endure. Be forced to watch them afar, never letting them know I was alive, never able to wipe away those tears they shed. I couldn't be there to rein in their humanities, or teach them right from wrong. Help them with their heartaches. I couldn't be there."
"So why didn't you quit? I'm assuming it's your supernatural job that kept you away."
"It's not a job. And I can't just quit. As much as I hate that it kept me away from my brothers, it's also home. I don't think I'd want to leave them behind forever, even if I could."
"So what is it?"
"Like I said earlier, Elena. Can't tell you anything about it. Honestly, it's more for your sake than mine."
"What about Elijah? Does he know?"
"No."
"Well, if he can't die-" she started.
"There are worse things than death, Elena. Now back to the story, Elijah. You and Klaus faked the sun and moon curse."
"Ah yes." Elijah walked ahead. "Klaus and I faked the sun and moon curse dating back over a thousand years."
"But if there's no curse..."
"There's a curse. Just not that one. The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed on Klaus."
"What are you talking about?" Matteo felt sorry for the young doppelgänger, he and Elijah had basically been messing with her head for the past hour.
"Klaus has been trying to break it for the last thousand years. And you are his only hope." Elena's phone kept vibrating.
"What is this curse?" She asked, curiously.
"Your phone will not stop its incessant buzzing. Answer it, please." Elijah held it out.
"Stefan...what's wrong? No. No, no, no, no. Okay, I'll be right there." She paused every once in a while to let him reply. "Klaus went after Jenna. I have to go to her."
"I'm afraid that wasn't part of today's arrangement."
"She's my family, Elijah. I have to. I'll be back. You have my word."
"That doesn't mean anything to me until you live up to it."
"Matt can stay. You don't mind, do you?" She looked at him with imploring eyes. "I mean he's your friend, and it's not like I'd leave my boyfriend's brother alone with an original vampire I half trust."
"Fine." Elijah nodded.
"Thank you." Elena ran back through the house and outside.