I coughed up blood and did my best not to move. When Darren was done with me he threw me back in my cell, I haven't seen him since. It was hard to keep track of time, but I was pretty sure it's been a few days.

Nothing good ever happens to me. Why can't I just die?

The woman with blonde hair and blue eyes in the cell adjacent to mine crawled over to the bars separating us, "Saige?"

I didn't answer.

"Saige," she called. "I have some water."

Pain shot through my head and neck as I slightly lifted it, I immediately put it back down finding it hard to breathe. So I tried responding, only to choke and go through another painful coughing fit; but, I couldn't hear my cough.

"Oh, Saige," the woman sobbed. "Just a little longer, please hang on." Something warm dripped from my lips and splattered in a puddle underneath. I could just make out the woman's thin frame, sharp cheek bones, and sculpted jaw line. "Help! Guards, please help! She's dying!" I could hear the tat tat tat of someone coming down the hallway, the squeak of the door, a pair boots blocked the view of the woman, and I fell into a dreamless void.

            I awoke to a steady beep, my vision was hazy, and my throat felt like it was on fire. I tried to assess my surroundings to find out I couldn't lift my head. I couldn't open my mouth properly either and realized there was a device restricting from doing so. I panicked and began to claw at it, setting off alarms in the process. Somebody rushed in and snatched my hands, "Saige, stop." I continued to thrash, though I barely moved at all I felt so weak. "I know you're scared, but if you don't calm down I'll be forced to restrain you. Please, I don't want to do that." The voice finally registered in my brain, I blinked waiting for my vision to clear and stared into the pale blue eyes of Steve. "You're in the facility's hospital; the tube in your throat is helping you breathe better."

            I took in his dark circles, his dark brown unkempt hair; he looked like death. I stopped moving; he slowly released his hold and took a small step back. I had so many questions; why aren't I dead? Where was Darren? What's the point in keeping me around if he hated me so much? Tears spilled over and ran down my cheeks into my hair. Something glinted in his eyes as he shifted awkwardly unsure of what to do or say. Then the door busted open, and I met the eyes of the devil himself. Steve stepped aside knowing he had no power and sent me a solemn gaze behind his back.

            He studied me, slowly raking his eyes up and down with a blank expression, "You've been out for five days." He was blunt, straight to the point; I had no idea what to say even if I could answer. He reached out caressing my face, "I missed you." I trembled in his wake, frozen in absolute terror of what he was capable of. "I'm sorry," he continued to pet my head. "You'll be better in no time. And when you're ready we'll go outside and hike to the river, how does that sound?"

            Like a never ending nightmare.

            He turned to Steve, "How long until she recovers?"

            "It's hard to tell, the doctor said it could take a while."

            "Not good enough."

            "Sir," he started tentatively. "She's lucky to be alive considering her injuries and the malnutrition. She'll need time."

            He set his icy gaze on me, leaning down whispering menacingly, "You better enjoy every last second of this; because once you're back in my arms, there will be no more mercy." He stood up and stormed out of the room. I suddenly couldn't get a full breath of air, and something inside me just snapped.  My stomach clenched into painful knots as a scream worked its way up into my chest. I desperately wanted to tear into my skin to relieve the intense itching; but mostly, I wanted out. I was sick of this torturous, horrific life I've been bestowed. I was done, finished. I hate him, I hate The Unseen, I hate my parents for leaving me here, I hate myself for being so weak, I hate the world for letting things like this go on; I just...hate. Steve appeared in my line of vision, his mouth moving, but no words could be heard over the ringing in my ears.