Ropes (Sal x Reader)

Heads up, title reveal for the third part of the Sal x Bryony series coming very soon!

Reader's POV

Marriage isn't for everyone; it involves commitment, work, and setting your differences aside with your spouse. Love is a key part, and I'm pretty sure that this feeling of love was the only thing that was keeping Sal and I together.

We had met two years ago, moved in after three months of being together, and were engaged six months after our first date. Things between us developed rapidly, but I knew that he was the one for me. He was a sweet guy, granted a little irrational at times, but...who has good days every day? I know that I certainly don't.

Sal and I tied the knot on our first anniversary, amongst the company of just our close family and friends. Neither of us were fussed on a big wedding; just a simple ceremony to celebrate the coming together of the two families. That's all I ever wanted.

Things within our married life started off great, it felt like the days in which we had first met – the fun stage, you know? It was at this time, the present day, that Sal and I began to drift apart. We were spending more time alone, rather than with one another, and Sal nor I knew how to fix things. It was as though we were at a loss; regret of moving too fast filling our minds.

I fought every chance of us getting here
But somehow we always come back

"Babe, that's not what I meant at all!" Sal argued, sat on the sofa, with his head in his hands, and staring down at his feet. "It came out wrong, I swear!"

"Just like your comment about my cooking the other day," I scoffed, folding my arms across my chest and shaking my head.

"Please, don't do this." His words pleading me, finally giving me the eye contact that I had been waiting for; the melancholy evident in his pupils.

"Do what, Sal?" I replied bluntly. "Stand up for myself when you offend me? Not let you get away with these nit-picky comments that you seem to throw at me all the time?"

"Babe, I-"

"Don't call me that." I spat. "Don't try and sweet talk your way out of this one like you did last time."

"I'm not trying to get out of anything!" Sal protested, standing to his feet, the fury in his persona coming to light. "I'm simply explaining to you the truth."

He rolled his eyes, sighing frustratingly. "You always do this."

"No, you always give me reason to react this way, dumbass." I scowled, receiving a pissed off glare from the man.

"Yeah, okay, I'm the dumbass." Sal jeered. "I'm the dumbass for marrying you."

And with those venom-filled words echoing through my head, I watched on with tears in my eyes, as Sal stormed out of the living room, not without slamming the door loudly behind him.

'Cause slamming doors was our way of making us a home
And I never thought we wanted that

Falling down onto the sofa, the emotions overwhelmed me, my slight sniffles turning into full on tears; not able to understand why the man that I love, the man that I had made a life with, clearly regretted ever getting down on one knee, or even meeting me in the first place.

I thought that our bond could never be broken, that we were strong enough to fight through anything, and come out on the other side with only a few scratches, reminders of our past and how we made it through almost tormenting me.