Chapt. 21: Old Friends

It had been about three weeks since Justin's first transformation.

He had been staying over at Ferns whilst he was in the process of training. Meanwhile, Fern had been on multiple dates with the woman she had met in the hospital awhile ago, they seemed to hit it off pretty quickly. I, on the other hand, had been recently keeping control of the patrolling, along with being the new manager of Alexander's Diner. Every time I went into the diner ready to work, it reminded me of the day I met Ethan. Which was ironic because he seemed to always come for something to eat while I worked.

|7:45pm|

I finished my shift and locked up as a car pulled outside, it was Ethan in his police car.
A smile grazed my lips when I saw him.
Quickly, I locked the backdoors and turned off the lights, locking up the last entryway door.

I placed the keys in my bag and stepped out, treading towards the car.

Inches away from the car, I picked up a low growl coming from behind the diner, it wasn't one I recognised in town.

My ears twitched uncontrollablely and my wolf was fighting to get out, Ethan was and stepped out of the car.

"What's going on Mia?" The concern in his voice grew.
With that, I shot off and followed the growl which seemed to get further away. Nevertheless, I was on its heels.

I sped around the back and heard the thing try to jump over the fence, this was my chance. I immediately snatched onto the leg and hurled it down to the point where the figure crashed to the ground.

I snarled in dominance and kept a hold of its body where I pulled the hood down to reveal the figure.

"Nina?" In disbelief, I loosened my grip.

She looked at me in fear, panic and sadness.
Nina was a young pup I took care of whilst living in my old pack, she too was seen as an outcast who wouldn't survive.

"It's really you?" Her eyes were glued onto me.
I helped her up and pulled her into a hug.

"Shit, it's been years kid." I said to her.
"I've missed you so much." I heard her voice break into tears.

For a few minutes, we held each other. I thought I would never see her again let alone Nina turned up here.

I guided her back towards Ethan's car.

"What the fuck happened?" Ethan stood their stunned.

I felt Nina back off slowly, releasing a growl.

"It's okay. He's a good guy." I reassure her.

"I assume you know her." He jumps back into the car.

"Do you think I would bring her back if I didn't?" I snap.

"You'll have to tell me later, right now we need to get her back to your home, the pack won't like a rogue from nowhere." He mocks.

"Don't speak to her like she is a nobody, if the pack had a problem I'm sure they will talk to me about it." I hop into the car and we head to my house.

We didn't speak all through the journey until we arrived at our destination.

I told Nina to head into the house as I turned to Ethan.

"I think it's best if you go home and get some rest." I stop Ethan in his path.

"Why?" He answers confused.

"Please? It's just, she's had it rough, and I think if there is a new face around her she might be uncomfortable telling me why she is here." I sigh, hoping he would take the hint.

He seems to look at me with slight hurt in his eyes, then looked towards the house.

"I'm not leaving you, what if it's a trick Mia? I can't leave you unprotected." He responds, his tone had changed by now.

"I can take care of myself Ethan, you know that." 

He takes my hand into his for a few moments until I moved them back.

"I'll wait outside in the car." He turns and walks towards his car.

"Ethan!" I shouted, but it was too late he was sitting comfortably inside his car.

I shook my head and laughed.

What an idiot, I thought.

I walk inside the house to find Nina sniffing around, searching inside objects and curiously wondering around the kitchen.

She picks up a bowl.

"That's a bowl. Humans use it to eat out of." I say and closed the door behind me.

"Well, humans are dumb, why don't they eat off the ground?" She replies in a deeply serious tone.

I laugh at her and told her to follow me through into the living room.

She explained to me why she was here and how after I left, it encouraged three other wolves to leave the pack, but unfortunately two of them were caught and were killed. Nina was the only one to escape. 

"I want to join your pack, I remember when you taught me how to hunt my first dear when I was still a young pup, that I am grateful and in your debt. I wouldn't be alive today if you didn't take me under your guidance." She smiled and bowed her head.

"You're like a sister to me Nina, I would do anything to help you, but, I must apologise for leaving you like that, I should have took you with me, I was selfish to leave you in that pack." I feel my tears roll down my cheeks but I swipe them away with my sleeve. 

"How did you find me?" I questioned.

"Well I heard while I was still in the pack that they chased you towards New Jersey and killed you there and then, I believed it at first that they did, but there was something inside me that told me that you were alive and I followed my instinct. When I left, I had no idea where to go but to head towards New Jersey, from there I hid for months, going between towns until I came here. I was so happy to see you doing well." 

It wasn't hard for me to believe that the pack told the alpha that I was dead, just to please him. 

"Where are the pack now?" I sighed, I was distressed encase they followed her here.

There was a longing pause after I asked, her sad eyes turned to anger. Hatred engulfed her aura which beamed into the room as if I had asked the wrong question. I wanted to know but part of me was frightened to find out.

"They were slaughtered."

It had been a few hours since Nina told me about the pack being slaughtered. My head was in doubt but similarly my heart was in anguish. Many questions ran through my head, Who killed them? Why did they kill them?...

I told Ethan I needed to run some errands and for him to keep Nina safe in the house, in reality I went for a run around town instead.

I must have completed a full circle around the town twice by now and I still wasn't out of breath. Although, currently my head was like a blank canvas, I blocked my thoughts out and spoke to my wolf to keep me calm.

I was too focused at the nature around me; trees stood so tall that it blocked out the brightly bold half-moon. I was halted with a large river with a fast flowing stream as the bank was covered in hard, knife-like boulders that could easily break a few bones. I stretched out my legs and bolted towards it, as soon as I hit the edge, I lunged with my legs and managed to overcome the river flawlessly. My wolf still had strength in her.

I was ready to return home and I lightly jogged, although I seemed to be a few miles away, the forest seemed endless to get out of. I carried on and followed a trail home.

Clumsily, I managed to get my laces trapped between a tree that had recently been chopped down and so I rolled my eyes and reached out to unattach them, until a loud, aggressive snarl came from behind me, I turned my head but before I could see anything, my panic was laid to rest as everything turned black.