Chapt. 17: Rogue

-Fern's POV-
|The Next Day|
|9am|

I awoke myself to find a struggling Justin.
His eyes lit like a match with panic and confusion.

I immediately rushed over and grabbed his hands, "Shh...It's alright J. It's alri-"
"Where am I!?" He shouts as he cut me off.

"You're in hospital. It's okay, you're safe now I promise." I reassure him and I guide him back to a laying position.

"They attacked me." His eyes stared coldly into mine.
"Who's they J?" I question him.
"I don't know their names but there were three of them. A pack. Your species but somethings different with them. They aren't tame like you."

Many questions raced through my head giving me an enormous triumph of a headache.

"Is my family here? Can I see them?" He asks.
"Erm no... they don't know you're here."

"What do you mean Fern? They must know I must have been out for over 24 hours they are worrying about me." His face turns into a deep saddened look of hurt.

"They don't know you're here because I told them you're going to be out of town for a few weeks. They are okay I promise. I check up on them everyday you know I do." I sigh, the only reason he can't see them is because of his transformation.
When he turns he won't be able to control his wolf and could kill them. However, I wasn't going to let that happen.

"W-why did you do that? Why can't I see them?" His eyes immediately flow with tears; his instincts know something isn't right.
"Justin I don't know how to say this but-"
I grip onto his hand even tighter than before, not wanting to let go.

"Justin. You've been bitten or scratch in this case by a werewolf. This means you're going to turn into one. It sounds terrifying but I swear to you I'm going to help you every step of the way." I fight my tears but they take over my body. They streamed slowly down my pale skin and made their way to my shivering lips.

Justin's expressions marked the emotions of terror, anger and sadness collided into one. His lips did not move but his face talked a thousand words.

In that moment, Mary walked in.
"I see you know. Kiddo it'll be alright, ever trusted a witch before?" She tried to lighten up the mood.
Justin used his other hand to wipe away his tears and lightly chuckled at Mary's comment.
"This may not be the time but, Justin I need your blood."

"Why?" He asks.
"That way I'm able to track you if anything ever goes wrong, I'm this towns most powerful witch so I need every bodies supernatural blood."

"Am I in a dream or something? This is reality now. My reality." He takes a deep sigh.

-Mia's POV-
|11:30pm|

I decided to run an emergency hunt. Fern rang me to deliver news that Justin is awake and he knows what's going to happen. As well as the minor detail he has on the culprits.

Everyone took to their posts. Tonight seemed rather uneasy as for every wolf could sense a feeling of evil among the air.

I'm left with Ethan again as we set up our post. Ethan has transformed but I kept to my human state.

"It's much safer in wolf form you can protect yourself better you know." I hear his thoughts communicate with mine.

"One get out of my head and two I prefer myself this way." I snap.

"Is this about the other night? When I saw you on the beach?"

"No." I respond although it was indeed the reason why I was being ignorant towards him.

He goes silent.

"Fine don't speak to me then." I say again before I'm cut off.

"Shh." He growls.
"Can you smell that?" He says.
"Smell what?"

He lifts his head into the air for a clearer scent and immediately snarls.

"Rabid wolves. Heading towards south west base."
With those directions marked in my mind he races off into the distance.

I follow him straight away however I'm slightly slower due to my human form so I quickly loose him but not his scent.

I arrive where the two wolves met.
Ethan's hackles rose, and his muzzle curled back to expose pearl-white fangs. Ears shoved forward, tail held high, he circled his opponent. Both wolves paced stiffly, tails lashing as they waited for the other to make a move. Ethan kept his weight evenly on all four legs, aware of the treacherous nature of the slippery forest floor due to the rain as they stalked upon. If he set his weight wrong when he pounced, he could end up slipping and provide the one fatal opening for the other wolf to win this fight.

The foreign wolf snapped his jaws in an attempt to startle us both, but the growl in Ethan's chest kept growing and he didn't even blink. Who was this rogue to challenge him? To think he could try to defeat us both, with others arriving, let alone Ethan himself? The almighty black wolf Ethan transforms into is like the wolf in our stories. The growl evolved, fluctuated, and with a howl, alerting more wolves, Ethan lunged.

The rogue cowered before Ethan, golden eyes wide, tail tucked in and ears flat. Ethan didn't stop as he gripped onto his neck, leaving hideous wounds.

"Stop." I shouted.
"We need him alive Ethan."

|2am|

A handful of wolves chained the man up in an abandoned building located on the outskirts of the town.
The rogue forced himself not to speak.
On the way back, he transformed back to his human state however, his face was unrecognisable.

"We'll start easy. Who are you and what are you doing here?" I paced back and forth in front of him.

He stayed silent.

"You know I could just let my fellow friends here tear you apart. Or burn you alive. There are many ways to get rid of your dead body. However, I'm a reasonable person and I demand answers." The man didn't make eye contact with me.

"Fine." I gesture the two men behind me.

One of them grabs a hold of him while another grabs a large metal pipe rusting away on the floor.

"Okay. Okay. I'll tell you what you want to know." He squirms.

The two men let go.

"I'm not telling you who I am but I can tell you why I am here. But first one request." His eyes now swollen.

I raise my brow.
"Let me live. Please. I have a family." He stutters.

"Why do you think I'll believe you." I say.

"Trust me. You need to know I was turned, I wasn't born like this and neither are the wolves that are heading for this town. You see, we're soldiers and we are being forced to come after well..." He hesitates.

"Go on." Part of me didn't want to know what he was going to say.

"You."