Chapt. 20: The Turning (pt.2)

"I've never seen a human turn for the first time." I peeked through the window to find his chains retracting him as he struggled to get out. "This could take a few hours." Mary speaks.
"Why don't you all go up stairs? Get some coffee in you." She smiles.

"Sure." Ethan replies and he was the first to go up.
"I'll keep watch here, just in case. We can take turns tonight." Fern says.

I nod my head in agreement and casually followed Ethan up the stairs.
"I wish I could take his pain away. If I was just with him that night, it wouldn't have happened." I sigh.
"Don't start blaming yourself. It was out of the blue." Ethan said as he was busy making coffee.

"I just find it weird how on that night, when no one was patrolling, they somehow knew and took that as an advantage to strike." My mind was scattered and torn between everything that went on.

Suddenly a loud, booming scream occurred from downstairs.
"Poor kid, he didn't choose this." Ethan said as he walked over with coffee.
I held my head in my hands, trying to block out the noise.

"None of them did. No one chooses this cursed life." I shake my head in disbelief.
From the scream, a low snarl followed.

"How long has it been?" I asked Ethan.
"Three hours."

Both of us shared a longing sigh, waiting for Justin's transformation to finish.
He passes me a coffee which I slowly sip on.

"You never told me about your... past." I say.
Immediately Ethan hesitated at first and placed his cup down.

"My past..." he repeated.
"Touchy subject. I don't want to... er- scare you."

I chuckled. "I've probably done worse. Besides, I'm not afraid of the so called big bad wolf."
Ethan smirked,
"So-called huh?"

"I'm being serious. I want to know more about you." I leaned against the wall, waiting for an answer.
It took a few moments for him to gather his thoughts, his eyes seemed to zone out.

"I don't know where to start." He finally speaks.
"Start from your first transition." I smiled; eagerly waiting now.

He quietly turns on a tap, filling in the silence.

"Well, I remember it was painful, no witch to help me, or friends for that matter. I was 18 so I was pretty late. Growing up, it wasn't really easy, my mom died giving birth to me, she was a wolf but my father wasn't. He blamed me for her death so he would beat me. Believing it would make me stronger in the end..." He took a pause.

"It's okay if you want to stop there. I thought I would be a good idea to take our mind off of... you know."

He steps closer towards me, forcing an aimless smile at me, and sits himself in front of me.

"No. It's something I've never told anyone too. I couldn't. Anyways, I know I can trust you not to tell anyone."
I nod my head in agreement.

"When I turned on my 18th birthday, it was... bad. I was in my room, my father came in drunk, I lost my temper. I transformed and killed him. After that, I ran away and stumbled upon this town, an old couple found me and took me in until I was able to move out and find myself. I became apart of this towns police department, I felt I had to redeem myself and help people."

We sat in silence for a while, the tap still continued to drip but elevated the noise more. "Ethan... I'm sorry you had to go through that."
He weakly smiled and tucked my hand under his.

Our eyes met.

Ethan's eyes were a soulless black, but yet seemed to mesmerise mine every-time we meet. I could always feel his body heat radiating off of him, immersing his surroundings with warmth and content.
I was about to break the silence when Mary walked in.

"It's done." She announced.
Ethan and I broke away from each other and immediately followed her down stairs.

"He's drained. Be careful just in case."
We find Fern with Justin sprawled out on the floor, panting frantically.

Mary rushes in with some water, patting a cloth on his head.
"Is he alright?" My eyes widen at Justin.

"He will be. Take him upstairs to guest room." Fern responded.
Ethan grabbed Justin along with Fern and headed upstairs.
I follow Mary up into the living room.
"What happened to him?" I questioned.

"His wolf took over him too quickly, it exhausted him. However, his transformation is over now, he'll recover but not for a couple days. On top of that, he needs serious training before he can return to his normal life." Mary expressed her concern for Justin's future.

"I'll help him Mary, trust me please. He's my responsibility now. My pack. I'll take care of him. Tomorrow I'll inform his parents." I assured Mary.

"You wolves. All this commotion could have been avoided." She tutted.
"Mary. I've got this alright? Trust me. For the past 3 years I have been here, I have done everything in my power to protect this town. I will continue to do that until my last dying breath."

"I don't want you to get hurt. I'm just a worried mother that's all." She wrapped me into a long hug.