Chapter Thirty Nine

"... Edmund." I felt my blood freeze. My face was pale. I felt useless and hopeless. I could not even comment on my thoughts about the situation.

After what felt like an hour, I felt a strong pair of arms hold me from behind. I looked into the mirror and saw Jude with a perplexed expression on his sad face. His grip was gentle, and it made me feel secure. At that moment, I did not care about my brothers. I just appreciated the moment and blocked out the world around me. The police asked my brothers' questions, and I tried my best to listen.

"I don't know who Edmund is, but I know for sure that he hurt you. I need to beat him up when I see him!" Jude retorted. I turned around and stared at him in silence. His eyes spoke sincerity, and his aura emitted warmth, and I could not think of a better thing to do than to hug him like my life depended on it. I buried my face in the crook of his neck and exhaled deeply.

"Thank you," I muttered those two words and closed my eyes to be wrapped up in his care and adoration. I knew I was not eighteen yet, and he was older than me by a few years, but at that moment, I felt we were connected beyond explanation. He understood me without saying anything.

Jude stroked my hair and placed a light kiss on my head. "I didn't do anything, which I am furious about, so don't thank me, please! I'd feel worse than I do already," he declared in a tone filled with sorrow and hurt. "But I do want to know the full story and, of course, only if you are ready to tell it," he added calmly, and I gave him a small tired smile.

"Jude, I want to tell you. I must tell you the whole story, but only when we get to the dorms. I want to tell it when there is no one around me because there are things that no one knows about, not even my brothers. Just until we get home," I explained in my weary state, and he nodded in understanding. As I went to kiss his cheek in gratitude, Theo stood between us and glared at Jude, yet he did not look like the overprotective brother I was used to seeing; he was softer. Maybe I imagined things, but he did not say anything to Jude. Theo wrapped his arm around me and led me to the car without saying a word.

~~~

I expected to spot Holden in our dorm, as usual, watching TV like he owned the place, but he was nowhere to be found. Jude called his cell, and Holden told him he was staying at Jess's the night. So, I thought it would be best if my brothers gave us some privacy for once so I could tell Jude the story and they, surprisingly, agreed.

I sat on Jude's bed when he entered the room with a jar of ice cream. He did know the way to my heart.

"Ice cream for my girl," he stated, and I almost squealed at the word my. I gave him a huge smile and patted the spot next to me on his bed. We rested our backs on the wall, and I hugged my knees, getting ready to tell him about my past. A few minutes passed, but I still did not say anything. I was nervous. Worried about his reaction. I was afraid he would hate me for what happened, but I knew I needed to tell him the truth so we could have a connection. I saw a relationship in our future. I wanted him to be near me at all times.

Jude looked at me with love in his eyes. He cupped my cheeks and leaned forward. I did the same until our lips touched. It felt like it was our very first kiss when it was not. His arms held my body, and he brought me to his lap. My legs were on each side of his hips, and I did not feel shy. I felt protected and loved. "You are amazing, you know that, right?" he pointed out as we rested our foreheads against each other. I wrapped my hands around his neck and caressed his hair from behind.

I tilted my head a little bit and arched my eyebrow. "Why is that?" I asked, utterly clueless about what he actually meant. He chuckled, but then his expression turned serious all of a sudden.