Chapter Ten

As we finished eating, Theo got a call from Jude saying that something bad happened with Arlo. So, we rushed to the car, while bumping into random people that probably cursed at us a lot. "What do you think happened to him?" I asked, completely panicking at the thought of my brother being hurt. My breathing came out irregularly, and I struggled to breathe normally. I loved my family so much, to the point of not even imagining what type of bad the situation was. Milo embraced me tightly and cooed in my ear, which made my breathing even once again.

"I'm sure he's okay; calm down, sweetie." He rubbed his palm on my shoulder, which made me relax a bit. He was sitting next to me in the rear passengers' seats, as Theo was driving back to the dorms at a high speed.

I just stared at the road up ahead, and the passing trees and cars, praying that he was all right and nothing bad had happened to him. "Why isn't Jude picking up the phone?" Milo pointed out. Frustration was clear in his tone. Theo eyed him for a second from the rearview mirror, then sighed.

"How should I know?" he replied, then ran his free hand through his dark brown hair. "He's going to be all right, nothing severe happened. Because if it had, then Jude would have told us more and picked up the phone. So chill until we get there!" he explained in a calm tone. Maybe I was over-exaggerating things. But what type of person would say: 'Your brother is in trouble and end the call? I mean... For God's sake, talk like a normal person and explain more. I'll have to talk with Jude when all this, ends well. And it won't be a nice talk.

~~~

As we arrived, and Theo parked the car, I jumped out of the vehicle and dashed to our dorm. "Lexi, wait up," Milo called as he was running behind me.

"Catch up," I said, then I spotted the two guys from the dorm next to us, but what caught my eyes was the black eye and the bloodied nose on the redhead. His friend — the brown-headed — was helping him walk. Did Arlo do that? He must have earned it, right?

I kept on running until I opened the dorm door with so much force. "Arlo!" I called but didn't have to because he was right at the door, holding a little boy who was crying his heart out. "Arlo, are you okay? Who is he? Why is he crying? Are you hurt? Whe —" Before I could continue, Theo covered my mouth with his big hand.

"Lexi, be quiet," he said in a calm tone, then released me.

"What happened?" Milo asked. We headed to the living room, where Jude and Holden were sitting with pissed-off expressions displayed on their faces. Arlo sighed, then sat on the couch with the little boy on his lap, who was sobbing.

"I hate Adam and Roni so much," Arlo commented, and I got more confused.

"Who?" I asked.

"The guys that you just saw. The redhead was Adam and the brown-haired was Roni," Theo replied, then looked at Arlo.

"Yeah, we know. But what did they do?" Theo asked what I was wondering.

"Well, Jude and I went to the garage after I received a message from my boss saying that I have to lock it since he forgot and I was closer to it. I had no problem and went with Jude. After I locked it, we walked back to our dorms. While we were chatting, we saw Adam slapping this little fella'," Arlo explained, then pointed at the little boy in his lap. He was like seven years old. or so.

"He was what? That bastard. I'm going to kill him!" Milo yelled, then tried to stand up, but I caught his arm.

"Wait. Why did he slap him?" I asked. He must have had a reason. Jude cleared his throat.

"Adam reasoned that the little boy ran into him and spilled his juice can all over his white shirt. Therefore, he slapped him," Jude clarified, and my eyes widened.

"Oh, I'm so going kill that bastard," I yelled, then stood up, totally copying Milo's earlier actions. It was Theo who made me sit back on the couch.

"No, you're not. Now, I know that you're angry. I am too, but let's hear it until the end," Theo countered, and I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"Fine." I breathed in annoyance because I knew that he was right.

"So, when I heard his excuse for slapping the poor kid, I got triggered and livid. I grabbed him by the collar, then punched him twice. One on the nose and one on the eye," Arlo clarified, and I grinned. I taught you well, my dear brother. And that explained Adam's horror movie-face figure. Arlo did a masterpiece on him. Don't get me wrong, I didn't support violence at all. It was just the right instinct; he did the right thing by defending that little boy.

I stood up, then walked towards Arlo and the boy. "Hey, buddy, are you okay?" I asked him softly, then cupped his cheeks gently. "Does it hurt?" I asked, with sad eyes. He didn't deserve it. But that jerk surely did. I mean... He's just seven and accidents happen. The little boy cleaned his teary eyes with the back of his hand. then nodded.

"Yes, thank you," he replied politely, with red puffy cheeks.

"Good. Now because you're a big guy, I'm going to reward you with a little snack. What do you say?" I asked, then clapped my hands with excitement. Sharing is caring... Only with crying kids and babies.

"Yes, please!" he replied in a quiet tone that made him look extra cute; his blue eyes were sparkling and dancing with happiness. See, I told you food can make anyone happy.

"Let's go," I said, then grabbed his hand and started walking towards my room. But before disappearing out of the boys' view, I turned my head and smirked at Arlo. "Next time, don't forget his teeth."