Chapter Twenty Seven

Arlo

After my mom's ugly snake stunt that morning, Lexi called the girls and invited them to come with her and mom to the mall. They did not need to think — they said yes and would meet her there. I was getting dressed when my brothers, Jude and Holden, entered my room like they owned the place. "What?" I asked as I put on my shirt and the necklace I got from Lexi on my fifteenth birthday. It was one of the best birthdays ever.

"We have to prepare for Lexi's birthday party, which will be tomorrow. We will go buy her gifts and the home decorations, then we will send her away until we are ready," Milo explained, and I nodded, then put on my shoes.

"Good thing we don't have classes tomorrow. It was like fate decided it was a good time for some idiots to vandalize the university and make us stay home tomorrow," Theo said, and we all agreed. It was rare for something like this to happen, but it happened in the right place and at the right time.

I do not encourage vandalism, but it was my baby sister's birthday, and we all will be there. We were not there for her last birthday last year, and we all felt terrible for it. Now we will make it up to her.

"Let's go," Jude said, and we all headed to a mall, but not the same one the girls went to because we did not want to give Lexi the feeling that we were going to throw her a party. It was a surprise.

~~~

"No, I will buy her that," Theo argued with Milo about a present.

"No, I saw it first; back off." Milo fought back, and they looked like five-year-old boys. I looked more mature than them, and they were older than me, for God's sake! I clapped my hands and stood between them.

"Who told you that Lexi loves necklaces?" I asked, then crossed my arms and raised one eyebrow. "She hates them. I learned that the hard way," I stated, and they gaped at me. I just rolled my eyes and walked out of the store. I knew what the perfect gift for my sister was, and I walked to the store that was in my mind. My brothers and the boys followed me without knowing anything.

"Where are we going?" Jude asked. I stopped in front of a stuffed animals' shop and smiled widely.

"Stuffed animals are her life, she just adores them, and I know that for sure because I sleep in the same room as her. She sleep-talks, and she has a diary that she writes everything in. I read it once by mistake and saw that she still loves them. That's why, gentlemen, we will buy her seventeen stuffed animals since she's turning seventeen tomorrow, along with five chocolate baskets," I explained and waited for questions. Holden arched his eyebrows. He obviously looked confused, so I cleared my throat.

"Why exactly five? Why not one or two or even ten?" he asked, and my brothers smiled.

"That's her lucky number," we all replied and entered the shop. Jude looked impressed by our answer but did not say anything. He just walked to the dolphins.

"Hello, how can I help you?" A tall girl in a uniform came to us and asked with a calm yet professional tone. She was cute. Let me clear this up. I was taller than her.

"Um, we want seventeen big stuffed animals of all kinds for a present," I stated, and her eyes grew wide. Yeah, that was a significant number.

"Seventeen? That's a lot... Who's the lucky girl?" she asked with a grin, and we all cracked a smile. She was quick and slick. I liked that.

"Our sister." We replied, and the worker's smile grew bigger, if that was possible.

"Well, she's lucky indeed to have you. And you two, what is she to you? I'm just curious because we don't get five customers that want to buy a huge gift just for one girl. I bet one of you likes her," she pointed out, and we all looked at Jude and Holden.