The Return of a Villain (1/2)

(Zctym33 I made a couple of references to your book, Lightnings, because it's crazy awesome and readers, you should really check it out!) *Highly recommended and super well written* :) I love it so much XD)

Jesse's PoV

Jesse quickly shuffled aside some papers on his desk, trying to find the note which has been bothering him for quite a long time. "Hey Boss- uh I mean, Jesse," Radar spoke up, his head poking up from the many stacks of papers. "I think I should check the archives. Maybe I accidentally placed the note in there."

Jesse nodded absentmindedly, using his feather pen to sign a few papers. Paperwork was really tedious sometimes... he sighed to himself, leaning back against his chair. Jesse was kinda wishing that he had followed Petra on her adventure. Jesse picked up a scroll, and unfolded it, reading the familiar handwriting.

"Dear Jesse, and the Order, I guess." Petra wrote, "Things have been awesome so far. I paid a visit to a village a few miles away and once again saw that villager who filled a trench with a million carrots. Remember that?"

Jesse smiled a little and continued to read.

"We had a good laugh. Anyway, I've been out exploring and was kinda wishing you guys could be here right now. I also paid a visit to Sky City the other day and you'll never guess who I saw. Aiden. And the Blazerods. They were there with the entire city, and I guess they really did reform. Aiden told me he sent you a letter, maybe you got it."

"And also, they had a brilliant adventure! It was just crazy awesome and I wished I could've been there. Apparently Aiden has predictive powers? I don't know, but he's gonna tell me more later. So I'm going to stay here in Memory City. That's what they call it anyway. No more Sky City. Which is a good thing, because they aren't in the sky and all."

"But don't worry about me Jesse, I received your letter and I wrote this back because I don't want you to worry. Sorry, I wish I could tell you more but I have to go talk to Aiden now. I'll write to you guys more often. See you."

Jesse rubbed his forehead, sighing. This has been a tough week so far... with various problems spreading all over town. First the plants just withered and died. One day it was fine and the next, they were all dead. The farmers didn't know what happened... they checked everything but nothing seemed to come back positive.

So now the entire town had no wheat, carrots or vegetables... but luckily, Jesse had an emergency storage room just for this sort of things.

However.. a few days after the 'Withering' as the townspeople liked to call it, the animals vanished. All of them.

There weren't any cows, or sheep.. or even a squid. Even the animals Jesse kept in a special farm in case of an emergency had vanished. Ivor had paid a visit to the town that same day and reported that someone had used a very very strong potion to make all the animals invisible.

So it wasn't a shock if someone was just walking along the street and would suddenly trip over a invisible chicken. It was funny at first but it soon turned serious as soon as they realised that animals weren't going to reappear. "Give it a week or two." Ivor had said, "This potion is one of the strongest I've ever seen."

Jesse didn't know who was the one doing this to their town... he had thought it was because of Stella who caused this out of spite or jealousy, but when he had questioned her... nothing..  even though she might've kicked Jesse and Radar out of Champion City.

"I'm back! And I think I found it!" Radar ran in just as Jesse signed another report. "Oh thank goodness." Jesse stood up and stretched, "I swear if I sit on that chair any longer, I'd stick to it."

Radar nodded enthusiastically. "I understand Boss, but here's something else that came in the mail again. It's probably from Petra." he handed Jesse an envelope, which seemed to be hastily scribbled upon. As if she was in a rush.

Jesse frowned and looked at the envelope, which had one simple word upon it. Jesse. He carefully ran a hand across the ink and sighed, finally opening the envelope.

Immediately, a small piece of balled up paper fell to the ground, making Jesse and Radar look at each other. "Open it?" the younger boy suggested as Jesse picked up the ball and smoothed out the paper.

Two simple words. "She's coming?" Jesse read, confused.

Radar tapped his chin. "But why would Petra write such a thing?" Jesse looked at the paper closely, and saw that the rest of the letter seemed to have torn. "Someone tore it?" he asked, holding out the paper for Radar to see. "And this signature. It looks familiar." the bespectacled boy pointed to a initial, written on the corner of the page. The white ink seemed out of place with the rushed handwriting.

"And.. this isn't Petra's handwriting. It's Aiden's. I can kind of recognise it, but that's definitely the way he writes his 'G's." The two of them stood in front of Jesse's polished desk, thinking.

"Wait," he looked at Radar. "You said you found the letter I sent for you to get right? Where is it?"

Radar nodded again and handed Jesse a fragile piece of paper, the edges soft from folding and unfolding it countless times. He held up both letters and narrowed his eyes.

"These two handwritings are the same... the initials I mean. Which also means.." Jesse looked at the map on his table. "Cassie."

"You mean, the White Pumpkin?" Radar squeaked nervously as Jesse looked down at the two pieces of paper in his hands. Outside, lightning flashed, making Jesse frown.

"Call the others. Now." Jesse said urgently as a storm broke out, casting the two of them into immediate darkness. "Jesse!" he heard Radar yelp. He quickly unsheathed his sword but someone knocked it out out his hands and kicked him to the ground.

"Just like old times, isn't it Jesse?" a familiar voice whispered from the darkness as Jesse looked around, trying to find the source. Quickly, Jesse picked himself back up, looking for a way to see through the darkness. But it was pitch black... "Radar?" he called but there was a sinister laugh instead.

"Just like old times."

-End