| 012 - Broken Ribs |

~
Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a...
~

I move quickly through the buzzing city, swinging from building to building without a second thought. I surge of confidence and happiness rushes through me because this is where I feel safe. Even though I'm being put in danger I feel safe.

I come to a stop on the top of a building that stands taller the ones around it and I look down at the lunch traffic below. I listen to the sounds and close my eyes, finally feeling better.

"Finally," I sigh and a second later I flip off the building, making my way back through the city streets searching for anyone in need of help.

I stop a car crash and wave to the kids that were in the backseat who smile back. It could've gotten bad if I wasn't there to help them. They could've got hurt.

That's enough to ensure me that it was a good idea to come out today.

I swing through the streets a little and stop when I hear some teens yelling after me. I turn back and land on the ground in front of them doing a pretty epic flip in the process. They ask to take a picture and I laugh, agreeing. I wave bye after talking to them for a little and swing off to stop as much crime as I can before I have to make my way back to the truck.

I check the time on a clock sitting in the park. It's almost two so I make my way to the top of a building just to get one more look around. I hold a twenty dollar bill in my hand and frown because I really didn't want the money.

Some man had been trying to steal an older ladies purse and I stepped in. She had refused to let me go without giving me some money so I took it.

My stomach growls a little and I look around again, my eyes scanning the bright signs as I start to move again. Maybe I should eat something, I haven't eaten in a little bit. I think that Miss Pepper and Mr Stark will let me keep going to MidTech but I don't know. I really hope they do, I don't want to restart even though it can be hard at school sometimes.

After a couple minutes I settle on a little sand which shop on a corner of the street. It's not the same as Delmar's but it will have to do for now. I get a kid sized sand which because I'm not going to waste the money on food that I'm not going to eat. That's what Aunt May had taught me to do, only buy it if you will eat it.

I find myself swinging back to the tall building I had found an hour or so ago. I sit on the ledge and eat a few bites before feeling full again. I look down at an alley and see there is a stray car, or at least what I assume is a stray cat, walking carefully. I swing down and offer the cat my sand which because it looks so small and fragile. I smile when it takes it in it's mouth then rubs up against me before going in to opposite direction.

I swing away, attaching my webs to one building at a time before flying into the air only to catch myself on the next building. I am enjoying it until I feel my sense go off and I move just in time to see an arrow fly past where I had just been standing. I hear a voice cuss but don't mind it much as I land go to land on a roof, looking back only when I am there.

"Hey bird man," I say through my mask looking at Clint. He's dressed in what looks like his original outfit from the first attack on New York but it seems to have been upgraded. Probably by Mr Stark. "That's not cool." I comment and notice that someone is sneaking up on me.

Aunt Nat throws a punch and I dodge it before she gets close, avoid the arrows coming at my chest at the same time. I raise my hands, blocking the arrows with my web formula and I feel Aunt Nat get a good hit on my ribs. I take a sharp breath and stumble back a little but know that I have to stay focused on what is happening. I can't baby my wound right now, I'll suck it up.

"That wasn't very nice mama spider." I say, my ribs where she hit me stinging as I speak. I cringe at the thought because I know it will get worse later. I'm still being shot at by Clint and I'm getting tired of dodging the arrows so I shot the bow out of his hands and make it stick to the ground before I go back to fight Aunt Nat.

By the time the fight is almost over my lungs are on fire and my whole right side of my chest has pain pulsing through it. With one quick movement I am the last one standing because I knock both Clint and Aunt Nat off their feet with my webs. So I guess I win?

"Ok," I say, noticing that talking definitely is not helping my breathing situation. "This wasn't fun, I'm going to leave now." I wave a little with my left hand which feels weird but at least it's doesn't hurt. "Bye." I say as I jump off the side of the building, working my way back to the truck I came here in.

I am surprised at my luck because it is just about to leave. Perfect timing. I crawl into the back and feel the engine start up. I keep the door open a little so fresh air can circulate before leaning back against the cold metal walls.

I slip off my mask and try to catch my breath, noticing that no matter how I breath it still hurts. If it's sharp breaths it's repeated pain but if I take a slower breath then it drags the pain out. I'm just in pain right now. Once I get back to the building I need to get to my room, I guess, through the windows and hope that no one noticed I was gone.

When the truck stops half an hour later or so I get out before the driver can even stop the engine, making my way back to the windows which are still open thankfully. I quickly get out of my suit, putting it into my duffel bag again then shoving the duffel bag into the back of the closet.

I grab some clothes out of the closet, knowing that noting I had brought with me will actually fit so I end up throwing a shirt that is maybe three sizes too big and a pair of sweatpants that most definitely do not fit me. I tie the sweatpants and make it so they fit around my waist.

I take a deep breath and flinch at the pain that once again radiates through my side. I lift up my shirt and cringe at the sight. My whole side is over in bruises that are still forming, making my side look an ugly color of purple and yellow. I automatically assume by the pain that at least two of my ribs were broken which is going to suck.

I used to be able to heal from hits really fast but I've never been hit that bad before. Plus with my diet I don't know how long this is going to take to heal. That's going to be fun to explain.

I take a few breaths, trying to find a way I can breath with the least amount of pain. The easiest way is to breath slower which I guess is ok. I lift up my shirt one more time to look at the bruise before shaking my head and going to lay down for real this time.

~

Originally Written: 12/03/19
Republished / Rewritten: 10/15/20
Proofread By: Kalie D.