Chapter 16

Jason's P.O.V.

"I'm gonna go hunting." I said to Vena. She smiled at me. "Great! See you soon! I'll start the fire."

I grabbed my sword and began to walk through the woods.

Where were all the animals?

I had walked at least a mile and had not seen a single sign of any animals.

"You're a lot like Jason that's all."

I froze. 

Snow?

I followed the sound of her voice. 

"Oh." another voice said.

Orchid?

I finally found them. They were sitting down, next to a fire, talking and eating. I squatted down behind a bush and looked through the leaves.

"What happened between you two?" Orchid asked Snow.

"Why do you want to know?" Snow asked absentmindedly.

They were definitely talking about me.

Orchid spoke again.

"It's just...the way you talk about him...it's not angry or anything like that like it should be considering he tried to kill you. You talk about him in a sad and wistful kind of way."

I heard Snow laugh sadly. "I guess I do, don't I? Where do you want me to begin?"

"How'd you meet him in the Games?"

Snow paused before speaking. She told Orchid the story of how she saved my life.

"Then what happened?" Orchid asked after Snow finished.

Snow said something about how she saved my life (again) from the wolves. I wasn't paying attention at first.

"The next day...he kissed me."

That's what got my attention.

"He kissed you?" Orchid asked in surprise. I managed to peek out of the bushes slightly without being seen. Snow was looking at the ground with a pained expression. 

Still, that didn't mean anything.

Snow finally nodded and spoke. "B-But I couldn't let him. It's hard to explain. H-He said he loved me. But I couldn't let him. If I did, he would be dead by now." 

Couldn't let me?

Why couldn't I kiss her? And why would I be dead just because I said I loved her?

"Why?" Orchid asked, practically reading my mind.

"If I told you, they would try to kill you like they did Jason." Snow murmured.

What?

Orchid seemed to understand and didn't press Snow for answers. Instead she just asked what happened next.

"I ran away." Snow said. "And camped out in a tree. The next day, when I came back to talk to him, a girl, Vena from District 1, jumped out from the forest and tried to kill me. At first I thought that Jason was hurt, but then he appeared and tried to kill me too. After I trapped them, I spoke to them briefly. They kept talking about how I wanted to kill him."

"Did you?" Orchid asked.

"No!" Snow said without hesitating. "When I ran away, it was because I was confused and conflicted, not mad. I would've never tried to kill him!"

Was she telling the truth? Or was she lying?

Snow sighed and shook her head. "My theory is that Jason and Vena were together from the beginning, and that they planned to kill me."