Chapter 10

Jason's P.O.V.

Snow rolled her eyes. "Shut up and come on." she said holding out her hand.

I looked at her in confusion, but slowly reached out and took it.

In less than two seconds, Snow managed to flip me onto the ground and pin me down with her knee.

"I'm not going to kill you, if that's what you think." she said angrily.

"Then what the heck are you doing?" I demanded. Fear overwhelmed me. 

"I don't know or care what I'm advertised as in District 3, but you will not judge me by what you've seen there." her voice was strained and angry. Her eyes radiated fury, but also pain. 

I slowly nodded.

Snow took her knee off of me and stood. She then held out her hand a second time.

I hesitated.

"I'm not going to flip you again." she snapped.

I took her hand and she pulled me up quickly.

God, she was strong.

"I'm not murderous, okay?" she said looking around for a good path. I couldn't see her face but her voice was slightly shaky.

"Okay." 

Snow turned around and sighed.

"I'm sorry for flipping you, I'm just sick of people judging me by what they see advertised." 

"S'okay, it didn't hurt." I mumbled.

She laughed. "Sure it didn't."

I gave her a small grin.

Snow then pulled a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

She really was beautiful.

Even if there was no chance of us ever being together, there was also no chance of me denying it.

I snapped back into reality and remembered something. My eyes blinked a couple times before I cleared my throat.

Snow turned around and her coal black eyes met mine.

They were startling and intense. Sharp and focused. Like every second she stared at me was another second she was mentally evaluating me. The gold flecks in her eyes brought warmth into her eyes as well.

"Is there something you wanted to say?" Snow asked after a moment.

I cursed myself silently. I must've been standing there staring at her like a drooling idiot.

"Oh, uh, yeah." I murmured. "I saw a cave on my way here. About one hundred yards to the east." 

She smiled slightly at me. "To the east then?'

I grinned. "To the east then."

"It's getting really dark." she added looking up. "We better hurry if we want to get there before we can't see anything."

I nodded in agreement.

***

"Nice cave." she said as we reached it.

"I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you have in District 2." 

"You don't know anything about District 2 other than we're the Masonry District and that we supply weapons, peacekeepers, and such."

"I also know you get trained at young age. That's what makes you guys Careers."

"I was born into Military combat. Both of my parents were generals of the first rebellion." Snow said without looking at me. Her voice once again trembled slightly.