Chapter 15

Snow's P.O.V.

"Snow?" Orchid said softly. "Are you okay? What happened?"

I tried to clear my thoughts. "I-I was betrayed."

"Who betrayed you?" Orchid asked helping me sit up.

"J-Jason." I murmured.

"Jason?" 

I nodded.

"You're weak and hurt. Let's get some food and water into you and bandage you up and then we'll talk." Orchid said standing up.

"Wait." I said standing up shakily. "Aren't you going kill me?" 

I remembered Jason asking me the exact same question.

"I should ask the same question." Orchid said quietly. "Even in this state, you could kill me."

I shook my head slowly. "People overestimate me."

"I have no interest in killing you Snow. You helped me in the training center. I don't think you're like everyone says you're like."

"The last time someone said that to me, he ended up trying to kill me." I said softly.

"We have a lot to talk about." Orchid said turning away.

"Wait." I said again. "The first day of the Games, I blacked out, someone helped me but didn't kill me. I recognize your voice."

She nodded. "You blacked out from hunger and thirst. I found you unconcious in the forest. I gave you some food and water and hid you in some bushes before leaving." Orchid turned sheepish and shifted awkwardly. "I took one of your knives too. Sorry."

I laughed. "You helped me and didn't kill me, I think that justifies you taking a knife from me."

She laughed too.

"My alliances haven't been going well so far, but I trust you." I said softly. "Allies?"

"Why would you want to ally with me? I'm a weak twelve year old. I don't have any skills." Orchid said.

"You saved my life. Besides, I think you're a better survivor than you think."

She grinned. "Allies then. But let's get you fixed up first."

***

Orchid was applying the cut medicine Enobaria had given to me. 

"So what happened between you and Jason?" she asked as she worked.

"I honestly don't know." I admitted. "My head is still throbbing, I can't concentrate."

Orchid nodded sympathetically. "I get it. Maybe a good night's sleep will help."

"Speaking of sleep, where do you normally sleep?" I asked curiously.

She shrugged. "In the trees or in a cave if I can find one. I don't stay in one place for more than a day or two. Too easy to track. Plus, I like running around."

"I have a sleeping bag. We can probably both fit." I suggested.

Her eyes lit up. "Great!"

We found a good, sturdy tree and climbed it. 

As we listened to the Capitol Anthem (no deaths) we talked.

"Don't you ever get afraid that you'll be sleeping in a tree and it'll fall down?" I asked.

She shook her head. "The Gamemakers only cutt the ropes during the day or right before it get's dark."

"You're brilliant you know." I commented.