Chapter Fifteen: I Owe You.

"I like you, James.."

The words swirled around Jim's head, day in and day out. He hadn't seen Sherlock since then, but his voice was forever at the back of his mind repeating those four words over and over in a never ending cycle.

Sebastian had gone home, reluctantly. He could see that something was off about Jim and promised to visit again soon. Jim would definitely miss him. He considering asking Sebastian to move in with him but the single room wasn't realistic and Jim didn't want to move. His flat was never a 'home' anyway and he didn't see much point in trying to make it that way. 

Molly was concerned too, noticing that Jim laughed less and zoned out tons more than usual when they had lunch or spent time together. She had no idea what happened, but could tell exactly when it started. She had clenched her fists, angry with Sherlock.

Jim knew that his friends were worried but he couldn't bring himself to shake off those words. Sherlock likes him. And not in a friendship way. What the heck was he supposed to make of that?

He didn't know what to do. The man annoyed the hell out him, made his blood boil with rage more than homophobic preachers did, and yet he was craving those soft lips.

He wanted to feel them again. On the tip of his fingers and on his own lips. Anywhere and everywhere.

But it was best this way, wasn't it?

He was saving them pain. It was just stupid hormones.

If they took whatever it was they had (Jim wouldn't exactly call it friendship) to the next level, they'd be at each other's throats ninety percent of the time. Arguing about very stupid things like leaving the cap off the toothpaste.

Did Jim want that?

The answer was yes. He liked the way they argued, he already knew that. Ever since the shooting range, Jim had a small smile on his face when Sherlock and him threw witty comment back and forth. He liked the way he could rattle Sherlock and make him angry.

But they couldn't have a relationship like that.. Things would get taken to heart eventually...

It was all too fucked up for words. Jim was a simple man. He didn't want all this drama, it was just one reason he'd been single for so long.

Maybe he should go find Sherlock and talk to him?

Turns out he didn't need to, because when he walked into his office on Friday morning Sherlock was stood there with two cups of coffee, one in either hand.

He'd come to Jim. Why did that make Jim feel so terrible? So guilty.

He wished he'd been able to glide into his office and smile at Sherlock without hesitation or doubt but, much to his annoyance, he did pause in the doorway as those four words ran through his mind.

When he does enter, he's handed a Vanilla Coffee.

"I got you coffee," Sherlock tells him, voice quiet but not quite sad.

"Thanks..." Jim replies, sipping the coffee as he takes a seat and starts up his computers one by one.

Silence drags on for sometime between them, the low sounds of the computers starting seeming like scream in the silent room. Dear God, it was so awkward. Jim had taken to tapping a beat on his thigh, fidgeting in an attempt to escape the suffocating awkwardness.

It hadn't been this awkward in the café or the alley. Why was it now?

Sherlock had said.. what he said but it's not like that was news to Jim.