Chapter Eight: Full House.

They were playing Scrabble when there was a knock on the door.

Jim and Sebastian exchanged a look, both knowing that no one was expected to drop by anytime soon. Jim rarely had visitors, even Sebastian knew that.

A glance at the clock sends Jim's eyebrows towards his hairline. It was nearly midnight.

Who the hell was at the door at this time?

With a sigh, Jim raises to his feet. Sebastian's left eyebrow goes up, mingling with his hair almost, he knew his friend well by now. Jim nods and his Sebastian stands too, following him towards the door.

It was silly but Jim's heart was suddenly beating rapidly as thought of who may be on the other side of the door filled his mind.

Killers. Thieves. Female strippers. All scary things like that.

Had his life been a movie this would be the moment where the tense music began to play in the background, taunting them all.

Jim prayed this movie was just packed, like really really packed, with red herrings.

Sebastian squeezes Jim's arm before he gives Jim a push forward, urging him to open the door. Jim glares, knowing that Sebastian was also scaring himself with terrifying thoughts just like he was. Well, Sebastian might not be thinking that female strippers are scary but the first two on his list were probably floating around in the other man's head.

Jim's left hand settles on the doorknob as he gives himself a mental prep talk. He yanks the door open quickly, not giving himself a chance to chicken out of opening a damn door.

Both men breath a sigh of relief upon seeing who was standing there in front of them. Female, yes. Stripper, no. Well.. Maybe, Jim thinks.

It was a fact that they tend to overreact to everything, especially since they'd been up watching horror movies and had to play scrabble so they weren't scared shitless before sleeping.

Jim glances at Sebastian the same time Sebastian glances at him and they laugh quietly before turning their attention back to their visitor.

Irene was stood there, looking bored and as if she was waiting for something as she picked at her nails.

Jim opens his mouth to ask why the hell she was here at this bloody time when there was a familiar baritone from half way down the corridor.

"Irene! We're meant to stick together!" The owner of the voice appears then, glaring at the woman. "Or do you wish to be killed?"

A smirk spreads over Irene's ruby painted lips as she raises a hand to Sherlock's cheek, her thumb rubbing his cheekbone gently, like a lover would.

A wave of anger crashed through Jim like a raging storm but it was gone (pushed away) as soon as it came, his emotions settling back into a calm blissful tide.

"You'd always come to save me," Irene flirts.

"That's what you think," Sherlock replies with a huff, shoving her hand away from his face.

And for some reason that made Jim happy, and proud too. The bubble of emotion rises in his chest and wraps around his heart, giving it a squeeze before it's gone at the same speed as the wave had.

Jim was bloody glad that Sherlock was not friendly with this women, like she'd suggested. A smirk works it's way onto Jim's lips as Irene's flirty smile drops faster than a stone dropped down a well.

"Wait.." Sherlock speaks again, his eyes meeting Jim's for the briefest of moments before he focuses on Irene again. "Why were you at James' flat?"