"What's going to happen though?" I asked. "What if he keeps bothering me? I have proof."

"Mr. Keys is helping us on that front," she said. "He's examining some court documents. We're trying to build a case but it might take some time."

"Alright," I said. "I guess it's just a waiting game."

I hated waiting games. Once my dad returned from upstairs, I helped them with dinner. It was nice to take some time off from thinking about how I could help Alexander. My brain felt fried and my body was ready to topple over. 

After dinner, we spent some time together talking about anything other than the news and Micah. Then my parents found out that I hadn't done much homework and sent me upstairs. It was probably better that they had. I doubt they wanted to see me mopping around. Even if I did want to put up an act, I didn't have the energy to do so. Everything about today was just exhausting. 

Instead of staying in my room, I headed up to the roof. I needed a clear head if I was going to get any work done. I could hear Alexander's voice mocking me for being so distracted because I was worried about him. 

The air outside was cool but not enough to make me grab a blanket. A sense of dejavu washed over me. It hadn't been long since Alexander and I had had our . . . date here. My face burned. I guess I was dating the vampire Prince after all. While a part of me still doubted some of the things he said, the other - larger - part took it seriously. 

Alexander did care. Honestly, I had never thought that I would ever want a vampire close to me and he changed all of that. I felt safe enough to have him feed on me and I knew that he wouldn't hurt me. 

Sighing, I sat down. Even the sight wasn't enough to make me feel better. I guess, for now, all I had to do was wait. What else could I do?

"Miss Borek, was it?"

I shot up to my feet and turned around. The voice came from someone that I had seen on television so many times. It was difficult to not recognize that deep and kind-hearted voice.

"I heard that you have something to tell me about my son."

"Y-you - Your Majesty," I stammered out. 

I didn't know if I should bow or drop down to my knees. Almost as if sensing my thoughts, he waved a hand and sat down on the roof. I looked around. I'm sure he had some bodyguards around and I couldn't see them. What as the vampire King doing here? Why would he come to me?

"Please," he said, "sit."

Nodding stiffly, I sat down a few feet away. Was it okay to just talk to him? I knew what I wanted to say but I didn't know how to begin.

"When I heard my son attacked a human at a school, I was ready to disown him," he began much to my surprise. "I couldn't understand how my son would go against everything we were trying to build. Then, Violet came to me with this ridiculous notion, this contract." He sighed. "I couldn't believe it but she had a plan."

"I - I don't know if it worked," I whispered. "Alexander stopped talking about world domination and having humans serve him that's for sure."

The King looked at me strangely. I moved back. Had I said something wrong?

"Alexander?" he asked. 

My stomach dropped. Was that not his name? Had he lied to me again?

"I haven't heard anybody call him that in a long time," the King continued. "He doesn't let just anybody call him by his name. You must have gained his trust."

I opened my mouth then closed it. How were people supposed to respond to that? 

"When I heard that you were trying to contact me, I admit that I was wary. Mind you, we've gotten so many calls from his fans saying they know how to get him out and saying that he's innocent. However, when I heard your message, I could tell that you weren't just putting on a show. You care about my son. I'm glad I came to meet you - against my advisor's judgment mind you."

I looked down at my hands. "I do care about Alexander," I told him. "And, it's my fault that he was framed. You see, I had a friend. His name is Micah."

As I spoke, the King stared out into the distance, letting me talk. Being close to such an inspiring and kind leader, I couldn't help but tell him everything. I had nothing to hide and if I wanted to help Alexander, the King needed to know. And so, I told him everything. I told him about Micah, my childhood, Carlos and the Purists, about Mr. Keys, the Mafia, and even our lame plans. 

"The only thing we need is evidence that he was framed," I finished. "Carlos can probably testify or provide all the information. Or both. I just don't know how to get him to help me."

The King didn't say anything. Like before, his gaze rested on the neighborhood. "It would seem that way," he finally said.

He suddenly stood. I leaped to my feet.

"However," he continued. "My son has made his own decisions and this is where it has lead him. I support your endeavor to liberate my son but my hands are tied. I can no longer come to Alexander's rescue. Good-night."

Even after he left, I stood dumb folded and the night's air swirled around me. It had never occurred to me that a father wouldn't want to help his son. 

A/N: Thanks for reading! This is part of the last remaining chapters. There are still a few more weeks to go. I like to thank everyone for their support until now. If not you, I would have stopped writing this story a long time ago. Again, thank you.