Chapter 23: Predator and Prey

Ethan's car pulled away quickly, close behind the Rogues that had stolen Red's.

I felt a small sense of relief, knowing Ethan was safe.
Red wasn't going to be too happy about us losing his car though...

And besides, it didn't help the ongoing fight at the back of the house.

My knuckles were white, gripping the edge of the windowsill far too tightly in a vain attempt to calm my nerves.

I wanted to trust Hana and Orin, I wanted to believe they could handle themselves...
But I already knew they were hurt...
And there were so many of them...

They just kept appearing out of nowhere.

Skidding through the hall, I returned to the back window once knowing Ethan was safe so I could be sure of the same for Orin and Hana.

They were holding up, thank god.

My body boiled with adrenaline, I was so desperate to run out there and help them.

But I'd just get in the way, I couldn't manage anything like this.
I couldn't handle one of them, let alone an endless hoard.

Hana was being more cautious, keeping herself safe and just out of reach, skipping whenever she needed to and using a gun she'd pulled from nowhere.
Orin, on the other hand, had taken a very different approach.

He looked so eerily natural, tearing those people apart like they were paper. He made it look so easy.
Like skin and bones were nothing.

The way their bodies flew apart, scattering around him in seconds was almost hypnotising.

He just looked so calm.

Yet another group of red Rogues skipped in, but these ones were different.

They all surrounded one, a tall man with tattoos on most of his body. His hair was dirt brown, untamed and messy.

There was something about him that I just couldn't quite put my finger on.

"You!"
He yelled, loud enough for me to hear through the closed window.

Without warning, he launched forward at Orin, sending them both into the wall and out of my view.
All I heard was the loud THUD.

I panicked, Orin seemed to have the upper hand until then.
Without thinking, I went running down the stairs, throwing the back door open.
I've no clue what I planned to do, I was absolutely useless.

"Orin, no!"
I yelled. The Rogue didn't even acknowledge me.

He held Orin up against the wall by his neck, struggling helplessly.
I could see his nails digging into the Rogue's arm, making him bleed.
But he didn't care.

Hana ran forward, pulling me back.

"This scent...this was on his blood...his cold body...you killed him...my son..." The Rogue snarled, his face close to Orin's as he kicked against the wall, "Oh, I'm going to make you pay...pay for what you've done to me...my boy Micah is gone...because of you!"

In the second the Rogue raised his arm to attack Orin, Hana shot him with perfect aim.
Orin fell to the ground, the Rogue skipping with fire in his eyes, panting like a wild animal at Hana.

I ran to Orin, helping him up.
He was coughing, holding his neck, drenched in the blood of countless red Rogues.

"Aww, how cute...she has a gun..."
The tattooed Rogue laughed, pacing around Hana.

With ghost-like movements, they all surrounded her.
But fearless, she kept her face stern, pointing the gun straight at his head without giving the others a second thought.