Chapter 21: Initiation

Hana cleaned my face and legs using makeup wipes from her purse as we drove home.

Everyone was quiet, except for Red, of course.

"So, how'd she do then? It seems like she was fine. What was it? A fox? Some kind of bird?"

No one replied.

My mind was heavy with guilt.
I'd taken the life of an animal that had no chance to defend itself.

I felt the warmth of its blood dripping down my face, down my throat.
In the moment my teeth sunk in, I could feel its fear.

How could I possibly do that weekly?

Hana glanced out of the window, a light fog carpeting the roads in town.

"Hey, uh, Red? Could you maybe drop us off here? I want to take Orin and Alma somewhere."

"Oh, sure. Where are we going?"
He asked, turning in to an open parking space.

"No, I mean...just us three. I'm sorry, it's private."

"Oh...okay..."

"Hana, I'm not really in the mood to do anything right now," I sulked, "Can't we just go home?"

"I'm sorry. Just hang in there, for me."
She whispered, stepping out and holding the door open for me.

"Um, so, just give me a call if you need to me drive you home or anything...I'm not busy at all..."
Red spoke awkwardly, tapping the steering wheel while Orin struggled out of the car.

"Y-yeah...sure..."
Hana seemed off, keeping her arm around my shoulder as we walked away down the path.

"What's this about? Are we actually going somewhere? Cuz I totally understand just wanting an excuse to be away from that guy..."
Orin grumbled, glancing behind as the car disappeared from sight.

"Yes, I'm...taking you both to meet someone."

"Who?"

Hana was clearly troubled, looking all around as she carted us down the pathway.

Without answering the question, she walked us into a strange building, the inside looking like some kind of empty bar.

Orin was cautious, walking slowly and taking in his surroundings while I was forced to keep up with Hana's pace due to her tense grasp.

"Bri? You there?"
Hana called out, stepping behind the bar and leading us into a large back room.

The room was empty, spare a tiny, little, adorable...

"Puppy!"
I squealed, running across the room to crouch down beside the cage.

It was a little baby husky, yipping gleefully with a fluffy wagging tail.
I could only just fit my fingers through the gaps in his cage, but he rubbed his head against them with tiny licks.

"Oh my god, I think I'm in love..."
I gasped, reaching my other fingers inside to rub his ears.

"Not all animals are so friendly, you know. One day you're gonna get attacked or something..."
Orin frowned, staying in the corner of the room.

"Oh hush, just look at him! How does your heart not melt? Ohh, why is the poor baby in a cage, huh? Do you have a name?"

"He doesn't yet, actually."
We all turned to the new voice, a large lady with turquoise hair stepping through the door, grinning widely.

"You're finally here. Oh, I've been so looking forward to meeting you two lovelies!"

"Who are you?"
Orin asked, crossing his arms.