Chapter 16

Kyree truly felt like an idiot. He had neglected to think far enough into the future to what would happen to his status when Ambrose was coronated. It was obvious, Kyree just hadn't bothered to acknowledge it.

"O-Of course," Kyree stammered, shaking himself from whatever paralytic state his mind had put him into, "can't believe something like that slipped my mind," Kyree added, forcing a distant chuckle.

"Look, Ky if- right now? Seriously? You can't give me five minutes?" Kyree listened as Ambrose fought with someone else, his voice muffled slightly as he held the phone away from his mouth, "fine, I'm fucking coming. Ky? Baby, I'm sorry, I have to go back. Meet me for lunch tomorrow? At that bar we met?" a small smile crawled it's way onto Kyree's lips as he remembered that first night.

"I'd like that."

"You'd better not be late. 12 o'clock on the dot, baby, love you," the phone cut out but Kyree didn't care. His mind was stuck on those last two little words Ambrose had uttered in a rush, two words that made his heart skip a beat and his head spin.

Kyree grasped the doorknob until his knuckles turned white, his breathing ragged and broken. No one had said those two words to Kyree since Alexander had died, everyone was too afraid. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue, yes, that must have been it. Ambrose wouldn't just blurt that out over the phone as some sort of parting gesture, it was a mistake, a simple little mistake.

"Sorry I took so long, Ambrose called..." Kyree trailed off as his eyes landed on Saige asleep on the couch peacefully, a small smile on her lips. Kyree tilted his head to the side a little, sharing in that smile, his gaze simply flittering over the slumbering human.

"Guess we'll talk in the morning then," Kyree muttered, scooping Saige up in his arms and carrying her to her bedroom. As he laid her on the bed, her grip on his arm tightened, confining him his position leaning over her.

"Stay with me?" she whispered, her fingers trembling just a little with the effort to keep herself awake and... of course, the fear of what had happened that night. She may have been able to put up a tough front but when her subconscious was let out to play, her guard was torn down easily. Kyree knew the feeling.

"Of course," Kyree scooted into the bed next to Saige, complying as she snuggled into his chest. Kyree had not experienced sleeping with a woman many times in his past, only a few when he was very young and still unaware of the intense attraction he had toward men. It was odd.

"You smell like death," Saige's soft voice drifted through the silent room, putting a smile back on Kyree's lips.

"I'm a demon, that's pretty natural," Kyree tucked a few stray strands of Saige's long lilac hair behind her ear, finally resting his hand on the small of her back.

"Tell me more, you promised," Kyree could hear the strain in her voice as she forced herself to remain conscious.

"Sleep, you need it, I'll tell you in the morning before I go see Ambrose," Kyree pressed a soft kiss to the top of Saige's head, tugging a little more of the covers over her.

"Who's Ambrose?" she murmured, allowing her eyelids to droop closed.

"My boyfriend."

"Tell me about him," Saige's voice was getting more and more distant as she faded into slumber, Kyree knew she wouldn't last long.

"Ambrose Ross," Kyree began, "he's gonna be the next king of Hell, and I guess I'm gonna be too. He's amazing, has such faith, such determination. Hunted by a faceless, nameless shadow yet still somehow sane enough to offer help to a man struggling with his own losses," Kyree paused as Saige shifted slightly, sighing happily with her head resting in the crook of Kyree's neck, "he's a little like you, in a sense. Somehow able to show such empathy yet never allowing anyone even a peek at his soul. Strong, so Goddamn strong. That man has enough strength for anything, a God would pale in comparison to him," Kyree sensed Saige was on the precipice of sleep and dropped his voice lower, "he's wonderful, Saige, you would love him. I don't know how anyone couldn't. I would give my life for that man, I would give anything for him," Kyree whispered, closing his own eyes, drifting into his own slumber. Or so he had thought...

Silence, the absence of noise, caused an innate fear to spike in anyone, so why did he not feel it? Whilst others cowered, whimpering and whining in the darkness, he stood still, listening to the movement of the air. Though, truly it could not have been silent, for the others around him could not just shut up.

"Ambrose," a voice whispered ferociously, "Ambrose, sweetheart, you need to come here," Ambrose knew the voice, yet ignored it. 

"Amb, come here," his mother's voice remained at the same volume, it was her tone that changed. Ambrose detected fear, fear and desperation. The darkness formed thick walls around Ambrose, impenetrable by the naked eye. He felt lost, reaching out to find his mother, wanting to be held in her arms despite her insanities.

"Mommy?" Ambrose quavered, his frail body trembling as his hands clutched at the air in front of him. He had always hated the darkness, it was where the monsters roamed. His tiny feet shuffled across the concrete floor as he fumbled blindly for his mother. She would keep him safe.

"Ambrose, I'm here," he couldn't pinpoint her voice, panic swelling within the young boy, "follow my voice, I'm here," he couldn't. He couldn't follow her voice. It was growing distant, so he turned, but then it was silent again. Just the whimpering in the room. Who else was there? Who was with them? Where were they? Ambrose's mind couldn't keep up with the questions bombarding him.

"Mommy?" Ambrose squeaked, tears welling his eyes, "mommy, where are you?" the fear was growing insurmountable, consuming the young child. His tiny hand landed on something soft, the smooth warm fabric rising and falling in his grasp. He couldn't quite hold onto it like it was being tugged back every time his fingertips grazed over it.

"Momm-" a hand clamped over the young child's mouth, ceasing his speech as he was dragged backwards, away from the warmth. Ambrose squirmed and struggled but the vice-like grip kept him almost completely still. He was nowhere near the strength of the person, the thing, holding him.

As a final attempt at freedom, Ambrose sunk his teeth into the flesh of whatever was holding him, not letting up until even after he tasted the blood seeping into his mouth. It was bleeding, did that mean it was human? Or something else entirely?

"You're gonna stay very, very quiet for me, little boy," a gruff, male voice growled in his ear, sending an overwhelming tsunami of fear throughout the child, "or I will slaughter your brothers whilst you watch, got it?" Ambrose whimpered like a beaten dog, nodding his tiny head weakly. The man removed his hand, though Ambrose would have prefered it to have stayed there when he felt it brush over his taut stomach.

"Your innocence is..." the thing inhaled deeply, causing Ambrose to flinch at the sound, "intoxicating," the hand splayed out across Ambrose stomach, reaching out as if trying to touch all of his silky skin at once, "I'm going to take my time with you..." tears trickled down the child's face as a hand continued to caress his skin, the other gripped firmly around Ambrose's throat, barely allowing him to breathe.

Light. Blinding light caused the thing to let out an awful screeching noise before disappearing in a wisp of jet black smoke. Ambrose fell to his knees, sobbing uncontrollably, a melancholy wail that seemed to make the whole room shake as the child broke down.

"Amb? Amb, I'm here, you're OK," two frail arms wrapped tightly around Ambrose, pulling him into a tiny chest he knew all too well.

"K-Ky?" Ambrose whispered, his voice raspy with sobbing. Kyree shushed Ambrose, rocking him gently. The pitter patter of more small footsteps closed in, making Ambrose flinch and rear back.

"Amb, it's ok, it's just Fi and Dante. They made it light. They made it go away," Kyree rubbed Ambrose's shoulders, a worried smile on his little mouth. Ambrose looked up at the other two children, their hands clasped together, light radiating from their bodies, stealing Ambrose's attention as the shorter one spoke.

"Ambrose, mommy says it's time. We have to go..."