2.8

Michael wandered aimlessly, head bowed and right hand wrapped around the to-go coffee Luke had bought him.
The two walked together through the mall complex, while Luke hummed quietly to himself; gazing at the shops around them as he held Michael's left hand warmly in his own.

"You sure you don't want to have a look at any of the stores?" Luke gently asked, frowning with concern when Michael sipped his coffee and said nothing.

Luke sighed, annoyed. "Mikey... I know it's hard right now, but could you at least try? Maybe just a little bit?"

Michael snatched his hand away and Luke huffed. "Michael, come on, please don't be childish—" He clamped his mouth shut, taken aback by the hefty death glare Michael silently shot him in return before storming off.

"Michael!" Luke called after him. "No, wait! Come back! I'm sorry-!"

"Shut up, Luke." Michael grumbled, not bothering to look back as he left the blond on his own.

Screw Luke, screw Ashton, they both seemed to get over Calum easier than he did and it wasn't fair.
Why were they so good at hiding their own emotions but he could barely go a day without crying? He knew he was dependant on Calum but fuck he didn't realise he was that dependant.

He kept walking, head up as he watched to make sure he didn't crash into anyone. It was only when he noticed a familiar figure sitting in the back of a café, by the wall-to-floor glass windows did he take time to stop.

Michael stared at the slouched man sitting at a table for two with no one else. His hands were rested around a white cup and Michael could bet it was hot chocolate inside—Calum always drank hot chocolate whenever he was really sad.

He truly looked like a broken man, and though Michael stared for a good amount of time—debating whether he should go in there or not—Calum didn't notice him. He never looked up from his drink, even when tears became evident on his face he still didn't move.

Michael desperately wanted to go in there, to sit down and ask Calum what had happened, what was going on, but when he finally made the decision to move towards the entrance it were as though the universe had other plans.

Luke grabbed his arm, pulling him back with a relieved expression. "I thought I'd lost you too, Mikey. Jeez, please don't leave me like that, okay?" He was soft, his hold tender as he gently moved their fingers to interlock. "I love you, and I'm sorry I got frustrated. You have every right to be mad or upset, I shouldn't expect you to deal with things my way."

Michael whined, a helpless sound that caught Luke off guard as the man turned to gesture at Calum sitting in the café. Luke's expression darkened, tugging Michael further and further away; their backs to the man who finally felt the need to look up only to see two out of three parts of his life leave him once again.

"Come on, we're leaving." Luke demanded.

"No, but Luke-Wait!" Michael tried to protest. "We never heard his explanation. Please, can we just-"

"No, Michael. You're broken enough as it is, I'm not going to let him make you feel any worse."

"But-"

"No!" Luke abruptly turned back, scowling at him. "I said no, Michael. We're going home, okay?"

Michael sighed, curling in on himself and giving a small nod of defeat. "Okay..." He mumbled.

"Good. Thank you." Luke held his hand tighter, as though it would stop him from slipping away again, while they headed back to the car. "We'll go home and watch a movie or something, okay? Get your mind off things for a little while."

Michael sighed and agreed. There was no point to argue anymore, it was clear he wouldn't be the winner.