Chapter 7: Transmigrator and Aileen (7)

AN: Apologies for the late update. A longer chapter + double release to appease the gods. (シ_ _)シ I don't plan to take this arc long and since I was once called anti-climactic then the end will probably be in another two or three chapters. Anyway, the ML isn't in this arc yet, better be done with it. Oh? I didn't tell? Err, apologies again but hey you'll get a peek of him soon. XD Thank you again for reading!

-------------------------------------------

"Your Highness," Ye Ai bowed respectfully when she faced the caller.

"Will you stop that, Aileen? Why are you doing this to me?" he asked in furrowed brows, full of grievance.

"You're the Crown Prince, your Highness. Proper deference should be observed," she answered in half nonchalance and straightforwardness.

"But we're friends before you found out of my position."

"You're the Crown Prince before you met me."

"I—" he has no words against her argument. Of course, it's true, he was the prince even before meeting her but why, observing his beloved now felt that she has greatly changed? Did something happen to her? And why was she even here in the first place? Did that vile woman did something again?

There were some proofs found connecting Althea from the previous nasty rumors against the Crown Prince but it was not very conclusive thus Prince Rhomeo cannot charge this woman yet especially when the power given by his father to this household in exchange for the cancellation of their engagement had greatly affected their ability to retaliate in case of any uprising. Fortunately, the Grand Duke never had the thought of seizing power, he thought.

"I've been looking for you but no one's in your house," he told her gently.

"Caron was sent for intensive medication in the neighboring city."

"In Denobos? We have our physicians here, why won't you accept my help, Aileen?"

"I am your subject so I cannot simply accept such favor, your Highness."

"Aileen! I told you we're friends and friends help each other," he declared but his confidence seemed to deflate while watching the expressionless girl in front of him. "What are you doing here anyway?" he asked again.

"This lowly servant—"

"Stop that, Aileen. Please, can you at least talk to me like normal?" he held the familiar hands and silently squeezed them. He touched that cute birthmark between her index and middle finger's knuckles with familiarity.

"I work here."

"...Hmm?" he hummed unconsciously.

"I'm working here."

"Huh? Why??" he asked as he went stiff in realization of her response.

"They're hiring."

"...That's not what I'm asking about."

"What then?"

"I mean why, of all places, here?"

"Why not?"

"Why—why not?"

"Yeah."

"Aileen, don't you remember her? She's the one who threatened you before!"

"Who are you talking about?"

"Althea! Althea Vaine! Didn't she threaten you to stay away from me?"

"When did she do that?"

There was a pause as Prince Rhomeo looked at her closely. "... Did you hit you head?"