B1 Ch13: Desertion -3-

---Atonement---

"Too late.", Ceno said with gritted teeth.

"B-Broth-"

Suddenly, Ceno passed by Feya and crossed the campsite heading toward the edge of the boundary. He dashed ahead, not giving any care to the small person who was coming after him, crying heavily.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

"Big Brother!!! If you'll going to leave, take Feya as well!"

"Don't leave Feya! Please! Big Brother! Brother!!!"

Ceno didn't slow down, rather, he speeded more. Although the fog still remained abundant, the surrounding was beginning to lighten up, giving Ceno much better visibility.

The blockage of trees vanished as Ceno successfully gone passed the woods. A small rocky hill laid next in front. Coming from afar, rocky tips protruded sharply toward the sky. A mark that the ravine was just right behind.

Ceno halted his step and hurriedly scanned the surrounding. Somewhere from afar, he saw a spot on the small hill where a seeming footbridge was present.

Ceno checked his back real quick before rushing forward to the direction of the hill.

The bridge was color reddish-brown and composed of pure rocks. It didn't have a railing and only had its surface. But it didn't look to be manmade. Instead, its uneven edge and surface showed that it was naturally formed due to the collapsing of ground since bits of remnant could still be seen on each side.

Ceno traversed the bridge that unexpectedly became narrower as he moved. He acted impulsively but now he could only tackle it slowly. Since aside from its surfaced being uneven, the quite moving thick fog in the middle of the ravine greatly hindered his sight. Moreover, a small wrong step could take away his life.

The sun was only starting to peek on the horizon when Ceno got himself about in the middle of the ravine. Never did he expect that the other side was further than what it looked. Plus, out of nowhere, sharp winds started to often slam the bridge, inching closer to where he was standing. Because of that, it left him only one option and that was to move forward.

The fog was especially cold, however, cold sweat still formed on Ceno's forehead. An uneasiness crept in his heart as he started to get really scared for his life. Even if he wanted to turn around, the sharp wind prevented him from doing so. Because aside from the rock he was holding onto, there was no other place he could use as support.

The ferocious wind abruptly stopped. Ceno was now torn between going back, remain, or to push forward. After all, he was being nervous about the wind that come-and-go as it pleased. To return first and looked for another way around or seize the chance and gamble everything. No. He should not let himself rush with a clouded mind like. He should try to go back and return on the wide surface first and then look for a much safer route.

Crack.

Ceno started to take light steps as he remained vigilant in the air around. He successfully covered half the distance he got before, making him want to heave a sigh of relief but still didn't dare to show any sign of carelessness.

But then again, luck wasn't on his side and his terror happened. A much larger force slammed somewhere on the bridge, resulting in a long tremor.

The crackling sound started to spread. Compared before where only the edge was being damaged, this time, it continued to travel on the entire bridge.

Ceno immediately stopped for he could felt the looming destruction under. He was only a few distances away and he could try to run his way out, however, when he tried shifting his weight an instantaneous reaction was given by the ground.