Once I am sure I have gotten all of the larger pieces of glass off the ground of which used to be a vase, I start picking up the smaller ones. I clean quietly and think about who could've made it. Probably one of the younger kids, probably one of the boys, who were playing in the lobby and weren't paying attention.

It doesn't matter me that I'm cleaning it up though. As one of the oldest kids in the community home I have to make sure the others are ok, even if that means taking the blame for their actions. I have to do it because the other three oldest kids, Jason, Olivia, and Sam won't take the blame.

The headmistress also loves them more then everything in this house so she wouldn't exactly believe them if they said they did it.

I finish sweeping up the colorful glass shards that shine when the sun hits them and avoid cutting myself before I walk over to the trash bin to dispose of the glass. As I quietly move around the room, putting the cleaning supplies away I hear another person shuffling behind me and I look over my shoulder to see who it is.

It's one of the youngest kids in the orphanage and little does she know that she will be getting adopted today. I has read over one of the headmistress's papers in which she had set up an appointment for a set of parents to come in. She was what fit their description of what kind of child they wanted and if they didn't pick her I would be completely as utterly shocked.

Lily is also one of my favorite kids that live here. She is happy go lucky and is great with people. She kind of reminds me of how I used to be before everything happened.

I shake the thought from my head, trying not to think of that right now because it is definitely not the right time, and I crouch down to make eye contact with the bright eyed girl.

"Hey Lils." I smile lightly and she grins as well. "It's early, what are you doing down here?" I ask and look around for the headmistress, maybe she called Lily downstairs. Or maybe the parents came, no. It's too early for that.

"Are you taking the blame again?" Lily asks. She's smarter for her age and understands things most kids would often just blink confusedly at. She's mature even if her actions don't show it. She gives me a slightly disappointed look while sticking her bottom lip out when I nod a little.

"Yeah but I will be okay," I hug her and she sighs. "Remember, one day we are all going to get out of here." I remind her and she nods. "I have to go though Lily." I say and pull away from her and she is smiling.

Get out of here one day. We are going to get out of this home one day. That's what we all believe. It doesn't matter if it's because of us turning eighteen and being thrown out of the house or because we get adopted, we are all going to get out of this underfunded home.

"Yeah," She nods agreeing with my statement before looking to the stairs. Some of the other kids must be looking for her by now. "Bye Pete." She waves and makes her way upstairs to the second floor again.

I shake my head, laughing lightly at the girl as she almost trips but redeems herself before I focus on my task at hand. I walk down a hall that leads to the headmistresses office, my eyes tracing the cracks in the ceiling.

I wish we had more money. We barely have enough to have all of us eat, usually I end up giving my food to the other kids.

I knock on the door and look down at the ground respectfully, waiting for her to allow me in. "Come in Peter," She says and I hesitate for a minute, taking a deep breath before turning the knob.

I open the door slowly and take a careful step inside. The headmistress has her head in her hands and I make my way over to the chair. I have been here before, she's going to give me a lid of work to finish alongside my homework which is going to be hard to do but not impossible.

"I really need help with all of this, can you please do it for me?" She asks pushing the stack towards me. "It would be amazing for you to help Peter. I really need it done by Monday, thank you so much." She says and looks at the top page of the papers. "Just remember your new curfew is six which includes after school activities after that you'll be able to help I believe." She explains and I nod even though I'm being overloaded with information.

Within seconds I am picking the paper packets and leaving the room before going upstairs. I make my way upstairs and drop all of the papers on the desk that sits in our room.

I guess it's a good chance to gather my thoughts at night and do something productive. I stare at the television that Jason has turned on and I wonder to myself how I am going to get all of this work done and do my patrols.

I look up to see that Spiderman, aka me, is on the news and whoever the reporter is talking about how the Avengers are trying to hunt down me.

Of course the Avengers are only telling the public that they are trying to 'get to know Spiderman' but I know it's probably so they could figure out who I am and figure out what else I am able to do. I dwell on my thoughts as Jason walks into the room and hands me a sandwich. I shoot him a thankful look but push it back to him because he looks hungry.

I shift to my bed and bury myself under my blankets, knowing that I should take a nap, before I have to do so much tomorrow.

~~~

Originally Written: 11/02/19
Republished / Rewritten: 10/10/20
Proofread By: Caitlin A.