jealousy ~ newtmas

Requested by LoveYourselfInFirst

The hallway was packed and Newt worked his way through the crowd to find Thomas. They were supposed to meet by his locker for lunch, and the bell had just rang. He was happy to see Thomas, except the sight of another nearly stopped him in his tracks.

Newt recognized him immediately. His name was Minho; a buff, Asian boy, captain of the football team. He was known for being bisexual and the biggest cheat of their school, and Newt felt a touch of anger run through his veins when he saw how close they were standing.

Thomas noticed the blond coming and waved, Minho following his gaze and narrowing his eyes at Newt.

"Hi Newt!" Thomas greeted him with a pretty smile. "How was biology?"

"Fine, thanks," Newt grumbled, watching Minho carefully.

Thomas felt that Newt was acting a bit strange, but he brushed it off. "Do you know Minho?"

"Yeah, quite well. Should we be going then, Tommy?" Newt brushed a piece of his hair off of his forehead, avoiding Minho's gaze.

"Sure?" Thomas' answer came out as a question, and he followed Newt out of the now-clearing hall. Once they had sat down in their usual spot under a tree outside, Thomas sighed.

"You seem... unhappy."

"I'm not- I'm... I'm just..." Newt began, and then stopped, and then started again before settling on a question. "How do you know Minho?"

"He sat beside me in math, why?"

"Because... he isn't a very good person, that's all."

Thomas just said "oh."

They continued on like nothing happened, through the art class they had together after lunch and then the one after. Newt felt like he was on autopilot; there was something between them that separated them, kept them from acting like normal. Other people noticed it too, Teresa whispering to Thomas and Frypan raising his eyebrows at Newt. They were usually inseperable and incredibly silly (spreading paint on each other, threatening to ruin the other's work in revenge) so this sudden change in atmosphere was strange.

The next day at lunch, he found Thomas by his locker. Like the previous day, Minho was by his side. He said something that made Thomas laugh, and once again, anger coursed through Newt. He huffed and turned in the other direction, walking away.

He found himself in the library wandering among the shelves of books. He knew his other best friend and confident would be here somewhere.

He was right, finding Alby at a table by himself, a sandwich in one hand and a book in the other. Newt slid into the chair across from him, and the dark-skinned boy looked up.

"Hey Newt," Alby smiled and set his book down, but then frowned. He always knew when something was wrong. "Wassup?"

"Minho Park is what's up," Newt said, putting his head in his hands. "He's bugging Tommy."

Alby knew of Newt's history with the Asian boy, and frowned. "Minho Park? Around Thomas? Why?"

"Ya think I know? He was around Tommy yesterday when I went to get him for lunch. And then he was there today, too. They were standing super close together, and I just- I don't want him to hurt him, yanno?"

Alby leaned forward, pried Newt's hands off of his face. "Newt, look. Minho's a bad guy, I know it, you know it. Thomas is smart, though. He knows what he's doing. Why don't you talk to him, tell him about Minho, and then trust him to make his own decisions?"