runaways ~ dylmas

Thomas Brodie-Sangster never thought he'd find himself crying on the shoulder of his best friend

Thomas Brodie-Sangster never thought he'd find himself crying on the shoulder of his best friend. He never thought that his family would just... abandon him like that. But here he was, with both of those things occurring all at once.

"Hey Dylan?"

"Mmm?" His best friend's usually warm, brown eyes were now frosted over, sadness and anger and frustration in them.

"Do you ever just... want to escape?" Thomas sniffed, trying to stop acting like a child. They were barely 20 years of age and were almost still kids, at least in the way of experience.

"All the time, Thomas. All the damn time."

They sat in silence for a moment. Being outside, at a park, on the swings, they watched the kids play. They were both wishing they could go back to when they were younger, not worrying about things like being gay and having your family be disgusted by it.

"If you want to, we can go."

"What?" Thomas wasn't sure what Dylan had meant, not in the slightest, and yet he knew his answer would be yes. For Dylan, he always said yes.

"Do you want to run away with me? We can pack our things and leave a note and just... drive. For as far as we can go."

Thomas looked away from the playing children to Dylan, his tired eyes wide. "Where would we go?"

"Anywhere. Just drive away, follow the highway and see where it takes us." Dylan blushed a little. How stupid could he be? The idea sounded so much better in his head, and Thomas would never-

"Okay. But Dylan, do you really mean it?"

"Yes, duh. I wouldn't've said it if I didn't. Let's go. We can get your things tonight and then you can sleep at mine, and we can go in the morning." Dylan sounded so sure of himself, and Thomas couldn't help but smile. Two hours ago, he thought he'd never smile again.

~ ~ ~ ~

The wind blew back Thomas's hair as he leaned out the open window slightly. Dylan watched him from the driver's seat with a small smile and cranked up the radio.

Thomas turned back to him with wide eyes. It was their song, and they were gonna sing it if it was the last thing they did.

"I hopped off the plane at LAX, with a dream in my cardigan!" You couldn't even call it singing, they were yelling at the top of their lungs with the wind carrying their voices away and down the highway.

"The taxi man turned on the radio, and the Jay-Z song was on!" They froze, waiting for the beat drop, and then broke into song again, louder than before.

"So I put my hands up, they're playing my song, the butterflies fly away!"

Thomas glanced over to watch Dylan, still singing. His best friend's honey eyes shone in the light of the afternoon sun, and the wind danced through his dark hair. He looked beautiful, there was no denying it. But Dylan was as straight as a ruler, and he was not about to kiss Thomas like he very much wanted him to.