12) Map of the Future

We all met in a lesson room to talk about the song that we're going to perform for the graduation audition.

"We should have the bass part come through a little more here," Nanami said as she pointed to one of the parts. 

"I agree," Natsuki said.

"I just can't get excited about this," Syo said.

"Of course you can't. We're missing one member."

Everyone remained quiet as we all knew that this would happen. I looked at the floor while Syo said, "Tokiya was late yesterday, too."

"I heard he's busy with work," Otoya said.

"How busy could he get? We have our graduation audition in a few days, we need him here," I said.

"I'm sure he'll be here soon," Nanami said with a smile on her face. "Shall we keep practicing?"

Then Masato asked, "What kind of work does Ichinose do?"

"I'm not too sure," Otoya said uncertainly. "He leaves after school and comes back late at night. He often comes back in the morning, too. I'm surprised his body can handle it."

"If his 'job' is working his body that hard, he's going to shut down."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"He always works at his own pace, doesn't he? He must think he's special."

Faint footsteps could be heard running in the direction with the door opening not too long after. Tokiya had finally arrived and was tired from running.

"Ichinose-san!"

I noticed that Tokiya was paler than usual and he was panting hard.

"Sorry, I'm late."

"Icchi, is your precious work over? We're sick of waiting for you. We thought you'd never come," Ren said.

"Come on. Now that everyone's here, let's practice," Natsuki said.

"That's right. Let's all get started," Otoya agreed.

"Oh, right," Nanami said. "I made this for all of you." She held out music sheets.

"Is this..." Syo started.

"A new song?" Natsuki asked.

"Yes," Nanami said, "When I was thinking of all of you, I came up with a melody."

"Nanami, that's amazing," Syo said.

Tokiya smiled and said, "It's great."

"Really?"

"You're just full of surprises Nanami," I said happily.

"Hey, let's write lyrics together," Otoya suggested and everyone agreed on doing it.

So we started writing lyrics and Nanami played it on the piano. And we all soon started singing it together. Honestly, we sang it so much that I fell in love with it!

There were a few adjustments that we suggested to make it sound better. But we had fun doing this together.

Once we called it a day, we went to the lake and decided to rest there.

"This song is great," Otoya excitedly said.

"Our voices reverberated with each other and warmed my heart," Natsuki said.

"With this song and our lyrics...We've got the graduation audition in the bag!" Syo said.

"It may even be possible for us to win and debut."