38: The Evil Within

I take a flight of stairs, and it's clear to me that I'm in a dark dimensional replica of the palace. This endless black which is encircled in magic barriers make it obvious that this is some kind of shadow prison. I'm trapped within the confinements of my own head. I reach the top of the stairs and scream when I almost walk off the edge.

The top of the stairs leads to an endless black abyss of open water. The gentle waves splash against the top stair which makes my heart race. My hands shake and the fire I'm holding as my light flickers with my fear. I can't see an end to the tumbling of the waves. Swimming forward may just be the only way across.

Taking a deep breath, I enter the cold endless water and the my flame dies. My legs propel me forward as I begin to swim, keeping my head above water. My swim feels like it lasts long hours and my body cramps from overworking my muscles. My adrenaline is dying down as I grow more and more fatigued with every stroke.

At the rate I'm going, I could drown. The traumatic experiences I've had with water sends me into a panic. My limbs move around wildly and my breathing quickens. I'm afraid of the water swallowing me whole and dragging me down to the pitch black void. The waves grow with my panic and it becomes harder and harder to keep from gulping down water.

A thought comes to my head suddenly. I'm not actually drowning. I remember the maze of a prison I'm in and my limbs stop flailing out of control. I close my eyes and slow my heartbeat. Closing my eyes makes no difference in the dark, but it’s calming to rely solely on my ears to guide me. I finally gain back my courage to swim on.

While trying to keep my mind off the dark waters that are under me, the splash of a nearby wave startles me. Something wraps around my ankles and I scream as it pulls me under. My eyes shoot open as it drags me down and refuses to let go. I kick and thrash but it keeps it's grip tight. The seaweed bonds climb up my legs and find my arms.

My muffled screams bubble up in the surrounding water. Even if this is a mind prison, dying would probably result in my mind being lost forever. That's usually how things like this work. While twisting to break free, I'm wracking my brain for any kind of idea.

An idea does come to me. One that would make for a deadly escape perhaps literally. My idea is stupid and I've never tried anything like it before. I can feel the burning desire for oxygen to fill my lungs and I have to force myself not to take I'm a breath of water. If there was any time for drastic measures, it would be now.

I'm almost out of my air supply and I use the last bit of my conscious focus to attempt in electrifying the water. The last of my air bubbles leave me and my body is about to force me to take in water when a tiny jolt comes from my fingertips. It only takes the smallest little spark to travel through my body and down my legs. I suck in water as my body is shocked and I almost fill my lungs completely with liquid. The hold on my arms and legs loosens with electricity traveling throughout the area.

I swim upwards, my arms reaching out and gasp for air when I feel the oxygen on my skin. My lungs burn and I spit out a mouthful of water. My body twitches from having the electrical currents shoot through me and I'm glad I'm still alive. I'll never question the effectiveness of Tristan's newest duel monster card with it being lightning power based.

Everything above the surface is still as black as it is under the water. Same as it was until I see a speck of light. Squinting my eyes, I can't make out what kind of light source it is but light is light. Kicking out my legs, I get closer and closer to the light and I see the glow coming from a person.

Hapi hovers just above the water, the millennium necklace illuminating her entire body. "Care to try your luck with me, my sweet? You will never escape here otherwise.”