32: Egypt

My eyes flutter open. The light of the blinding sun beats down on my face. There's a minuscule breeze blowing by but it's hot and dry, not refreshing at all. I smell sand and hear the sounds of conversation.

I sit up, my body aching and I feel drained of my energy. I hold my head and groan. Where am I? There's some kind of veil over my face and it jingles when I touch it. My eyes glaze over my legs and I laugh. What am I wearing?

I'm wearing something similar to what I would picture belly dancers to wear. A short crop top and form fitting pants with fabric attached to the sides of the pants and down the arms of the top. Little light coin shaped trinkets dangle from the pants and jingle with any movement.

I cover my middle, feeling naked. I finally take in my surroundings. I'm in Egypt, that much is obvious, I remember the smell from my visions. I'm on top of one of the small houses and there's a cloak near me. I pull it over me and tuck my veil into the hood. How did I get here?

I climb down and the hustle and bustle of the roads is deafening. I move out of the way of animals and flinch at the shouts and curses of people I run into. What century am I in? I haven't seen anything that I might recognize. This looks similar to the ancient Egypt I saw in my visions so I may be in that time.

I'm lost until I bump into a palace guard. I know he's a guard because of his attire. White skirt thing, white hat thing, a rough and tough look about him. He does not look like the friendly type with that scowl he wears.

"You there!" He grabs arm.

"Ow! Let go!" I try to pull away.

"What are you doing here? You should be at the palace. You must be the runaway that was reported." He drags me through the market.

"The palace?" I laugh. "Who do you think I am?"

"You'll speak only when spoken to, slave."

"Slave?!" I kick my legs out but he's a big guy so my struggles don't do much against him.

He binds my wrists in front of me and pulls me along with him. He hoists me up on his horse and we ride. I keep my mouth shut during our ride. Somehow, I get the vibe that I don't have a lot of free will. Maybe it's from the fact that he called me a slave! How rude.

Hapi? Hapi, are you there?

No response. She's usually so keen on responding. It's not like she has anywhere else to be. She could get me out of this situation and back to my friends if she took over. I'm still not clear on why I'm here unless this is another vision. I don't recall my visions involving me in them though.

I can't remember what happened after I defeated Yugi in the tournament. I received his item and there was something about Pegasus and Bakura. A mind duel? Ugh. I can't think.

The large palace doors open and we gallop inside them. Tall walls with gold statues decorate the interior. The guard slides off and assists me down. Someone leads his horse away and he grabs hold of my arm again.

"Excuse me," I squirm  "but I think you have the wrong girl."

He shows no emotion. "It will do you well to stay silent."

I flinch at his cold tone. He drags me down many paths. This place is huge. Even if I'm able to get away from this guy how am I supposed to find my way out? Oh! My necklace! I reach up with my bound hands, but I realize that I'm not wearing my necklace. The space where it should be is empty. Of all the times for me to be separated from it, this is the worst time possible.

I'm brought to a room and I see many other girls who are dressed in the same attire as I am. Many colors are spread from each of our clothes. Red and black, green and yellow while mine are blue. The guard throws me down on the floor and I barely catch myself from hitting my head.