31: Slave of Mind

I walk across the clear glass reflectors of the arena. They worked perfectly for the duel. Each hologram looked as if it stood there in the flesh. I stand in front of Yami and he falls to his knees.

"I... I lost." He stares at the floor, shaking.

My stomach twists. Several things have and will occur in past, present and future respectively. I just defeated the King of Games. I am taking the millennium puzzle from him. I will challenge Pegasus.

"Yami." I kneel in front of him.

I feel for him. I really do. This is the part that will torment me for months to come.

"I wasn't prepared... for this." His hands clench to fists. "I'm not prepared to be separated from Yugi."

I lean forward, my hands gently grabbing onto the chain around his neck. His hands shoot up and wrap around my wrists. I'm on the brink of tears as I lean forward and whisper in his ear.

"This is the only way I can save Marik. It's my fault he fell into the darkness. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me." My voice breaks.

His hold on my wrists softens. "I understand now." He lifts his eyes to meet mine one last time. "’Till we meet again."

My heart cracks as I lift the puzzle from his neck and lift it over his head. Yami shifts to Yugi and he's a mess of tears.

"Hapu, how could you?" Yugi's big eyes reflect all my fears and heartbreak.

Traitor. I see the word in his eyes. My hands tremble as I pull the chain over my head.

Don't lose your focus.

She's right. There's one more obstacle. I turn away from Yugi. He cries out to me, tears pouring from his eyes. He yells out Yami's name and mine. In anger and pain and loss. I close my heart off to him. There's no time for emotions. Besides Yugi's hurtful screams, the room is silent. I come to stand in front of Pegasus.

He smirks, amused. "My beloved Hapu, how cruel you can be. The reward is yours."

One of the security personnel holds out a pillow. The Relinquished cards concealed in a little box sitting in the middle. I take it in my hands and Pegasus runs his fingers through his silky hair.

"You desire more?" Pegasus lifts his hair so his millennium eye glistens at me.

I allow a grin to find its way across my lips. "Oh Maxie, you know me so well."

He chuckles at my change in name for him. "Mm, you dare challenge me?"

"Yes." I touch my necklace with my fingertips. "But to a duel of the mind."

The silent audience now erupts into whispers. I sneer at the surprised expression on Pegasus' face. It's not often you catch him off guard.

"Duel of the mind, you say?" He leans forward, clearly interested.

"Why, yes." I lean forward as well, placing my hands on each side of his throne.

I grow closer to him and he draws back, shocked I'd dare to come within breathing distance. The back of his head touches the chair and to our audience it probably appears our lips are touching.

"A regular duel would hardly be fair." I whisper. "In fact it would be quite boring." I tug on the neat little bow at his neck. "Your item grants you sight of any mind's eye. My necklace, glimpses of events." I suddenly step back and he takes in a gasp of air. "I challenge you, to a duel where we draw our opening hand and play the remaining duel, in our minds."

I giggle as Pegasus recovers. "A true duel of the mind." His smirk returns, faltering only slightly. "It is fascinating to say the least. And the consequences?"