20: Mountains

Seto Kaiba's long coat whips out behind him. The winds curve down each side of every mountain, giving him a superhero cape effect. If I didn't know him, I could have sworn he was meditating. Eyes closed, arms folded and looking completely peaceful. He coolly stands on one side of a flattened patch of land. I was planning on arriving and playing it cool but I need to reach the top first.

I stare up at the edge above me. Guess a running start is the only way. I can't make it very far until I hold my backpack in front of me so I can throw it ahead. I lift my leg up over the steep ridge just on the other side of this little flattened plain. Ungracefully, I grab onto the few weeds growing on the edge and I grunt as I try to pull myself up.

My backpack lands with a thud after I threw it over and I slide it further so it stays on top while keeping hold of my weeds. Seto turns, hearing some kind of pathetic struggle. Smiling, I wave shyly and I hear the weeds I'm holding onto rip from their roots. My smile fades and I slide off and roll all the the way back down the steep pile of rocks and dirt. I groan and stumble back to my feet, looking up to laughter. I'm shocked to see the laughter coming from Seto.

"You're nothing but bad luck, pinky." He clears his throat, trying to force his smile away.

"I am not!" I bite my lip to keep from laughing myself.

His laughter is contagious. I didn't even think he was capable of laughing. I take a running start back up the hill, should be easier without my backpack but my footing is poor and I slip and slide back down. Laughter starts up again.

"Don't watch me! I'm self conscious!" I stick out my tongue as I stand back up.

I struggle upwards again and when I reach up for the edge, Seto grabs my hand. I grab his forearm and I kick my legs into the dirt as he pulls me up. Finally stable on ground I lean on Seto's arm, tired.

"Success!" I raise my arms up over my head, bringing one of his up as well.

"It's about time." Same old Kaiba. "I was growing tired of waiting for you to show up.”

I slink to the ground to rest. "You just had to stand here and wait. Sorry if I'm not some mountain goat. Blaaaaaaa."

I imitate a goat sound and laugh a breathy, exhausted laugh. Seto remains pretty stoic but smirks.

"That can clearly be seen."

"So..." Breaaathe. ".. cool tracking map thing.. you wanted to see me?"

He looks over the view. It's absolutely breathtaking. The entire forest can be seen from here, the docked yacht, the wasteland of a desert, the wetlands and the beach, Pegasus' castle, everything.

"You're going to assist me in checking the duel disks for any glitches that may have developed." He folds his arms.

"Glitches? How?"

"By dueling me."

His duel disk glows and out pops the panel. I'm left dumbfounded. This is what I had wanted forever ago, but now I'm rethinking it. I've seen duel replays of him, he's amazing! Yami is the only one who's ever beat Seto. That basically makes him runner up to the World Championship title. That's not the only reason I'm hesitating now, but it's a good one.

I stare at the back of his head, wondering what he could possibly be thinking. "You want to duel... me?"

Seto finally turns to look at me. "That's what I said. I don't believe I stuttered."

"O.. oh."

He stares.

"You mean now?"

He nods.