24: Maximillion Pegasus

Never have I ever met anyone with a personality quite like Maximillion Pegasus has. He invited me to have dinner with him after our brief introduction. I'm not one to pass up food so of course I accepted his invitation. After I freshen up and change into some clean clothes I sit at the end of a long table with my host at the other end.

The table has many chairs, ones that are meant for the other duelists. There's a chandelier hanging just above the table and an empty stage with instruments set up. It's a fancy type of dinner. The kind where there are two forks and two knives and they place your napkin for you.

In case you were wondering, you use utensils from the outside in. I was raised in a wealthy family where high dining was taught and often presented for every meal so I'm thankful I can act high mannered here. It's making me feel right at home. We place our requests for our food and as they bring our drinks, Pegasus finally speaks up

"How do you like my island, Miss Schroeder?" He grins slyly, as if he already knows my answer.

"It... the island... has many um, landscapes." I'm nervous so I can only stick to facts for now.

"So it does." He sips his red wine. "Many more than last year. I wanted to make it grander."

I stare down at my red fruity drink slightly suspicious and finally taste it. The drink is sweet like strawberries and I have to be careful not to down the entire drink I'm one gulp.

Pegasus laughs at some joke. "You know, I'm rather impressed by you."

"Me? Of course me, I'm the only one here... ha. Um, thank you." I set down my glass.

"I refer to your duel disk invention as well." I glance up as he swirls his wine in his glass. "To improve Kaiba boy's very own toy is impressive. I'm sure he didn't take to it at first. He's a competitive one that boy."

A breathy laugh is all I can manage with my nerves the way they are, "Kinda, he actually knew me before I went to pitch the idea. There was this little incident too..."

"And your dueling skill is something to congratulate as well. I did receive the data of your duel with Kaiba boy. It was most interesting."

"I guess, I was just--"

"One of the most intriguing things about you may be due to the fact that you possess a millennium item." He runs his fingers through his hair so I can see the glint of his millennium eye under it. "Few are chosen for their great power."

I pull at the bottom of my shirt nervously, "If I may ask, how did you obtain your millennium eye?"

He brightens. "Oh it's quite the tale! It was on one of my many trips to Egypt. I fell in love with the culture and during one of the digs, I met a guardian of the items!"

"A guardian?" I lean forward, interested.

"Yes! He called himself Shadi. He actually forced the millennium eye on me!" Pegasus sighs heavily, as if I'm to react.

I can entertain him. "Forced?! How cruel!"

He enjoys my animated comment and goes on, "It felt like torture! But I did catch a glimpse of my deceased wife when it happened." He grows solemn. "My beloved Cecelia."

"Your wife?" I pout, actually sad for him.

Pegasus perks up again, "My millennium eye drew me closer to her. I dedicated my time to try and see if I could bring her back to me, but alas, it was not meant to be."

"Wow."

"We are very alike, my dear."

"Alike?"