4: Chosen

My alarm goes off and I quickly dismiss it, seeing as I've been staring at my ceiling all night. I hardly slept. I shocked Yami when I read the Egyptian text from the God card. Although, he's not the only one who was shocked. It looked like gibberish to me at first until it changed. I don't know why I could suddenly read it, but I know I couldn't read it again. Not even if I wanted to, no matter how hard I tried.

Standing up, I pick up my backpack from the side of my bed. Being awake most of the night, I already refreshed myself for school. I'm not sure I'll be able to retain anything in class at all today. Making my way to the kitchen, I hear Leon crunching his cereal while watching announcements on the television about Maximillion Pegasus making some new Duel Monster cards.

"Morning, Leon."

I hear the clatter of his spoon as he whirls around. "You're up early."

Suspicious, he squints at me as if questioning if it's really me as I roll my eyes at him. "Maybe my new friends are having a good influence on me. Making me an early riser."

Leon stuffs his mouth with another bite of cereal. "Pffft who could influence you? I can't convince you that fairytale Duel Monsters are better than the Valkyries you and Ziggy use."

I smirk, "They're good but my monsters are better. Oh, you might actually know one of my new friends. You met him once. Do you remember Yugi Muto?"

In the same tournament where Zigfried demonstrated his deck for the first time, Leon entered the Kaiba Corp Cup Championship, KC Cup for short. He ended up being the finalist facing off against Yugi Muto the World Champion. I didn't know he was the same Yugi Muto from the tournament until I recognized the Dark Magician as his favorite card.

It was Leon's dream come true. Specializing in fairy tale monsters, he always wanted to duel Yugi. But, Ziggy attempted to hack a virus into Kaiba Corp and tricked Leon into playing an illegal card. Yugi barely beat Leon and this impossible card with the two of them working together. Defeating the illegal card my older brother created, Yugi came out victorious and held his Championship title. I try not to talk about that illegal card too much though. It only brings bad publicity to the Schroeder family now.

Leon stops eating and looks at me a little bit in awe. "Wow, what are the odds that you're put into the same school as him? Does he remember me?"

"Of course he does!" I giggle and run over and mess up his hair. "Who could forget someone like you?"

"Hey! Now I have to redo my hair!" We laugh as we eat breakfast together.

At school, my locker finally clicks and I press the handle and make a face as it... actually opens. Yes! I'm a genius. I do the smallest happy dance I can and hum quietly while doing a little shimmy of my shoulders in my victory. It's involuntary but what can I say? I'm pleased.

"Nice to see you remember the pattern." Marik approaches me, unzipping his backpack.

"Yeah, I think I've got the hang of it now. Dope, right?" I tease.

Marik laughs at my reference to the first time we met. "You have a way with words."

He switches out some books from our locker to his backpack and vice versa. I can sense some kind of dark aura around him which doesn't make any sense when he's so cheery. I see Yugi down the hall and I wave to him. He waves back and I smile and return my attention to Marik. He looks displeased at my greeting.

"Marik, do you know Yugi?" I ask, questioningly.

Closing the locker he swings his backpack over his shoulder. "We have a history."