"Then figure out why. You have until tomorrow." Louis growled in frustration.

My heart dropped to my stomach when the door was flung open and Captain Louis abruptly came out. He stopped in front of me and his eyes filled with even more fury.

"What do you think you're doing? Eavesdropping? Now what have I told you about snooping around places you shouldn't?" He spoke smoothly and reached out, grabbing my braid and yanking my head back.

"I-I'm sorry, Captain. I desperately want to know why you've kidnapped me. I'm only looking for answers, that's all." I gasped out, clutching his hand that held my hair.

"I won't say it again. Don't poke your nose in places you shouldn't!" He said harshly and shoved me away.

I thought I was going to fall, but ran into the railing above the lower deck. "But I..."

"If you know what's good for you, you'll keep your mouth shut and stay away from me." He lashed out as Niall came out to see what the fuss was about.

"I know how to read the map!" I yelled out and they both paused.

"What did you say?" Louis murmured.

"I...know how to read the map, the one that confuses you." I spoke slowly, hoping that I was right about my theory. I had only just thought if it this moment.

"How would you know? You've never even seen it." Niall scoffed.

"Well, that's not exactly true... but I was only trying to find answers, nothing terrible I promise." I said quickly when Louis looked as though he might explode again.

Pasting a fake smile on his face, Louis mockingly stepped out of the way and gestured for me to enter the chart room. "Then by all means, oh Great Wise One. Do tell us how to read the bloody thing."

I hesitantly stepped forward, Louis continuing to hold out his arm. Entering the dim chart room, I went straight to the round table where I had found the mysterious moving map. Setting a candle next to it, I studied it. It did look completely different from the last time I saw it.

Now instead of the mermaid island, there was an expanse of ocean waves. At the south west corner was a grouping of dark clouds. I felt the presence of Louis and Niall behind me as they looked over my shoulder. Nervous, I hoped it would do the same thing it had last time as I touched it with the tips of my fingers.

To my relief, the waves came to life, rippling and rolling in the wind. The clouds in the corner billowed and grew darker, letting little raindrops fall into the sea. Tiny slits of lightning flashed.

"What the..." Louis murmured in shock.

"By golly I was right! I did see it move." Niall proclaimed proudly.

"It's alive." I said cautiously. "It must be...uh..."

"It must be what?" Niall prodded.

"Magic." I whispered in response.

"Aye, it is indeed." Louis agreed, watching the magical show on the map. "But you told me you knew how to read it."

"Oh...I did, didn't I?" I chuckled nervously.

"Well?" Niall coaxed.

"My theory is that the map changes as we go along, not showing the entire journey. It only shows what we'll encounter next. It showed me the mermaid island before we even caught sight of it." I explained, lifting my hand from the map and then it stood still.

Louis reached out his own hand and touched the map. It didn't respond. "That's an interesting guess."

"It seems logical. I mean, as logical as magic can be." Niall shrugged.