Chapter 1: Function

Alice Mclain was woken up by her twin 5 year old brothers jumping up and down on her. 

She growled and tried to push them off with no luck.

"I'm up, okay," she snapped. The two frowned at her, hopped off, and grabbed her wrists to pull her out of bed and to the dining room, where her own twin was waiting with a cup of coffee. She snagged it from his hand and downed a quarter of it in one chug.

"Good morning to you too, crabby." She glared at Lance, took another sip of coffee, and replied.

"Thanks for the liquid of life." Lance laughed at her.

"I have no clue how you can drink that stuff, but I suppose since it's the same color as your soul, it's the only thing you can drink." Alice glared again, proving her brother's point.

"Hand me my crutch so I can hit you, please?" Alice asked.

"And your going to be late if you don't get moving soon," Lance said taking the cup from her hand.

Alice swore in Spanish and snagged her crutch from its spot on the wall and headed to her room. 

Having lost her leg do to infection from an ancient cash register that had crushed her left foot. A prosthetic was too expansive, so she made do with the crutch and her beat up old wheelchair.

Getting dressed was tricky, but thank goodness that the uniform for the café was a dress and not pants. She pulled the green tourture device on over her head and step-clunked out the door, on her way to work.

------------------------------------------

A blond walked up to the counter, and Alice's eyes widened in surprise.

"You?" The boy laughed and put his elbow on the counter, resting his chin on his hand.

"Me." He wiggled his eyebrows at her, making her laugh. 

"Hello, Gordon. Long time no see," Alice smiling. 

Gordon Tracy had been her favorite customer, coming in late and stay until well after closing time.  Except for that day, the day her world changed for ever. 

"I'll have my normal and You can join me at our old seat," Gordon said and walked to the old corner booth.

Alice cussed. Her leg was bugging her and that booth was across the restaurant from where she was working. 

Carefully balancing the tray filled with two burgers, a mound of fries, two vanilla shakes, and two pieces of apple, she limped toward the table. Gordon frowned at her, took the food out of her hand, threw her arm over his shoulder, and helped her to the table. She sat down with a sigh. Gordon grabbed a milkshake, sucked down a bit, and looked at her with hope in his eyes.

"How you been?"