Chapter 3: Nox Institute

Bonjour people! :D I know I've said it before but thank you so much for reading (commenting and voting!) It really means a lot. Anyways, this chapter isn't particularly exciting but I really had include it :L

~YourGuadianAngel ♥

___________________________________________________________________________________

Nox Institute

“Don't ignore the past, but deal with it, on your own pace. Once you deal with it, you are free of it; … if you don't, the past will come back to haunt and keep coming back to haunt you.”

― Boris Kodjoe

                “You’re such an idiot you know that?”

We were both sat in the trunk of the car, joking around as if nothing was going to happen, forgetting the awful metallic stench of blood, decay and chlorine. I rolled my eyes and shrugged at the comment he made. “Never heard that one before.”

                “I see. Sorry sis, I’ll try to come up with something more original next time,” Ollie’s voice was dripping with sarcasm. “Anyway, what you did to Ben could’ve got us into a lot of trouble.”

                “There’s no need for you to state the obvious.” After this, the mood died down and silence wrapped us with its protective blanket. The distance between my brother and I was only of a couple of inches but it felt like we were miles apart. Lost in our cynical minds. My thoughts filled with many questions, I kept thinking and thinking, only finding an answer to some of the questions I had.  I rested my head onto the damaged cardboard box that was thrown in the car at the same time as us, absently playing with my long sleeve. 

The suffocating feeling of being trapped like mice in a tiny cage almost came to an end when the vehicle stopped. Hearing the voices coming from outside, Ollie and I sat there, waiting for someone to free us from this small place filled with  unbearable stench, tired of being pushed around and lied to by the Council and all the adults we’d ever met.

                “I don’t want to go! This is so stupid. I mean come on, why do they start caring now, huh? It’s not the first time you ‘resorted to forbidden means’!” Ollie’s tone was bitter, his hands balled up into fists so tight that his knuckles instantly turned white. His green eyes burnt with anger but I knew him well enough to know that it was just a mask; in reality, he was a scared sixteen year old broken boy. Hitting and screaming seemed like a way of coping with the stress and fear life had brought us.

                Not as good at pretending as you are.

In response, all I did was stare at him, unable to find something that would comfort him—calmer like he used to be. I stretched a hand out to him, lightly stroking his messy golden hair like a silent promise. Lying without even opening my mouth if that’s possible. I wasn’t used to these kinds of gentle gestures but with Ollie everything was different; it came naturally.

                “Hello there,” a dark-haired man said as he opened the trunk—rays of sunlight poured in it, illuminating the dark tiny space. His hair was neatly cut, giving him a serious and stuck up appearance, around forty-five years old, I guessed. In brief, I despised him already; something fake and sick hidden by an overly-friendly facade—something adult. His big chocolate-coloured eyes shone with excitement and hope, two things that once people got to spend a little time with me, disappeared leaving a sour after taste like the one people get in their mouths in the morning. “Welcome to Nox Institute. My name is Caleb Greenwood, I teach Latin, History and English, three mandatory subjects here, so feel free to ask me any questions,” the name sounded familiar but I shrugged it off. His smile revealed perfectly straight pearly-white teeth. The man looked at both of us, and added, “I know it’s hard to transfer to a place where you know no one but—”