charlottetown | jerry baynard

request by @ember_sala — SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO WRITE!!! :(

this weekend, i decided to go visit my mother in charlottetown. my and father adopted me when i was a small baby. now josephine works at the dress shop downtown, and i never see her. i live in avonlea, and she lives above the shop.

my parents separated when i was ten, and now that i'm older, my father allows me to visit her (normally i live with my father in avonlea).

my best friends are anne shirley and jerry baynard. it's a shame that jerry can't go to school, because i miss not seeing him all the time.

to be honest, i've loved jerry for over a year, ever since anne came to avonlea. he's so sweet, and caring, and always makes me laugh. he's helped me through more bad days than even my father. i just...he's the best, and i wish i could see him more.

anyways, i went into town alone, because father doesn't want to see josephine. i tied up my horse outside her dress shop, and slowly stepped inside.

it smelled of roses and lavender inside the shop. there were fabrics of all sorts against the wall, and they were all so elegant. i'd never seen such vibrant colors in all my life!

as if sensed my presence, josephine scrambled for the entrance. her arms were held out open, and her thin lips were spread in a wide smile. i couldn't help but grin, and i accepted her embrace. her puffed shoulders practically suffocated me, but i was fine with it. i missed her.

"josephine, you look lovely!" i gushed, and she smiled. it was somewhat hard for me to call her mother, just because i never saw her too often.

"darling, you are lovely yourself!" she returned the compliment and stroked my hair. "you are growing up to be such a beautiful young woman!" i blushed, thinking she was just saying that.

"come, let's have tea," she said, and i followed her upstairs. her room was small, but it was adorable. she had a small china tea set already on the table, with gorgeous little blue birds painted on it.

we talked for hours. she asked me about school, my friends, if i had a boyfriend, but she steered clear of talking about my father. that was still a sore spot.

"so, is there any boy that's caught your eye?" josephine winked. i felt my face heat up, and i brushed a piece of hair out of my eye.

"well, there's this boy," i began. josephine oohed and leaned closer. "his name is jerry. he's my best friend, but i think i love him. he's so amazing, and i just wish you could meet him!" i thought about how amazing jerry was, and josephine smirked.

"you love him. i'm positive," josephine replied. i twiddled my thumbs and nodded. i glanced at the clock and noticed it was almost four o clock.

"oh dear. if i want to be home before dark, i should be going," i explained. josephine sighed, but nodded.

"i'll see you soon?" she asked. i nodded and embraced her.

as i walked out the door, i heard a weird pounding from the alley close by. it sounded like something was wrong. i peered over the corner to see two grown men beating up a small boy. my feet became rooted to the ground, and i wanted to help, but i just couldn't move.

after the men left, with all that boy's money, i rushed over to see if he was okay. he was laying on the ground in the snow! as i lifted his head up, i gasped. it was jerry.

"y-y/n," jerry coughed. tears filled my eyes as i saw what the men did to him. he had a black eye, and his face was all cut up. i rubbed my thumb over his cheek, and a tear fell down my cheek.

"why are you crying?" he asked gently. i shook my head and chuckled.

"you're hurt," i whispered. he smiled and took my hand. i helped him to his feet, and he leaned on my shoulder.

"thank you. can you help me find anne?" he asked softly. i nodded, and we left the alley.

as we walked, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. i blushed and hid my face.

when we found anne, she was already talking to gilbert. of course, the two had heart eyes for each other, but didn't want to say anything.

the four of us went to go sit in the coffee shop down the road. jerry and i left anne and gilbert to talk by themselves, and we sat at a separate table.

"are you sure you're alright?" i asked him. he chuckled and looked at the table. i blushed. "what are you laughing about?"

"you are such a mother," he chuckled. i rolled my eyes, but smiled nevertheless.

"am not."

"am too."

"no!" i exclaimed, but he quickly shushed me.

"y/n, i'm joking. you're amazing," he whispered. i blushed at his compliment, and he took my hand.

"thank you," i replied. i squeezed his hand, and his face turned bright red.

"y/n, i think i'm in love with you," he said suddenly. my heart stopped in my chest, and i could've sworn my soul left my body.

"you-you are?" i blurted, and he nodded. "i feel the same way."

his eyes went wide, and anne and gilbert were staring at us from the other table. i could've sworn i heard gilbert 'aww' in the background.

"would you like to go outside?" jerry asked softly, after he noticed our small audience. i blushed and agreed. he took my hand, and we walked outside.

once we weren't in the view of anne and gilbert, jerry quickly wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed his lips onto mine. i cupped his neck, and i kissed back. it was the most wonderful feeling, and i'd never been kissed before.

"YOU ARE SO CUTE!!!" anne yelled from the shop front. i jumped and turned around, breaking the kiss. anne and gilbert smirked as my face turned bright red.

"yeah we are," jerry whispered in my ear. i smiled, knowing i'd finally gotten my boy. my jerry.