¿friends? | gilbert blythe

request by @cloudyparker

y/n was the second most popular girl in the avonlea schoolhouse, the first being josie pye. even though she only lived in avonlea for about a year, everyone warmed up to her quickly, and they decided she was one of the next 'it' girls.

y/n was smart, sweet, gorgeous, kind, and overall had a very lovely personality. all the girls (and boys) loved her, and she was everyone's friend.

everyone except gilbert blythe.

gilbert blythe was basically the property of ruby gillis. she's called dibs for three years, which means that no girl can interact with him AT ALL.

don't get me wrong, y/n wanted to be his friend, truly she did. but to be his friend, she'd be disobeying the girl code. she resolved that it's not worth it to lose a friend over a stupid boy. of course she would talk to him a little bit, but not enough where ruby would be heartbroken.

and so y/n tried to ignore gilbert blythe. the two of them were the top of their class, but still, she gave him the cold shoulder almost every time he grinned at her.

as the weeks went on, y/n started to develop feelings for this boy. he was always so kind to her, even when she wouldn't talk to him. he always smiled at her, regardless of her facial expression. y/n could see why ruby was head over heels for him, but she hid her feelings well...

...but one day, after smacking an apple out of gilbert's hand when he offered it to her, she decided that enough is enough.

at lunch, y/n marched right up to gilbert and sat next to him. he stared at her, not used to the sudden attention.

"gilbert," y/n began. she looked at the ground and twiddled her thumbs. "i'm so sorry. i've been so rude to you, and only because the girls told me to. i'm such a coward, and i feel absolutely sick inside after how i've treated you." she looked up to see josie holding a crying ruby through the window. josie met her gaze and glared.

"i-it's alright," gilbert said, turning her attention back towards him. she frowned.

"no it's not alright. i was being rude, and mean, and utterly terrible." gilbert laughed.

"it's fine, really. can we please just start talking to each other?" he offered. y/n nodded. she stuck out her hand, and he shook it.

after gilbert left, y/n was still sitting in the same spot, only she was alone. josie, ruby, and the others girls walked up to her. ruby was still crying, and josie was hugging her.

"why were you talking to gilbert?" josie sneered. y/n shrugged.

"i've been so mean to him for the longest time, and it didn't feel right. i decided to apologize," y/n explained.

"o-oh, that-that's very n-nice of you," ruby said in between tears. y/n smiled at her.

"but it's still unacceptable. you will not talk to him. ever. again," josie said. then she pushed y/n off from where she was sitting by the stream. y/n lost balance and fell in, soaking her beautiful blue dress. her favorite dress.

"cmon girls, let's go," josie said, and the group walked away. y/n started to cry.

why are they doing this to me? i've been their friend for years! y/n thought. she slowly stood up from the stream and sat back against a tree. she kept crying, and praying that no one saw her.

just her luck, gilbert blythe walked out of the schoolhouse. he turned upon seeing y/n in the corner of his eye, and soon realized that something was wrong.

gilbert dropped his school things on one of the steps and ran to y/n's side. "hey, hey, hey, are you alright? did you fall in?" gilbert asked softly. y/n shook her head, and a new flood of tears came crashing down.

"no, i-it wa-was josie. s-she was m-mad i was t-talking to you," y/n confessed. gilbert clenched his jaw, obviously fuming.

"do you know why i kept trying to talk to you, even when you would push me away?" gilbert asked her. she shook her head, her wet y/h/c hair shaking off water droplets. "it's because i like you, y/n. you're so pretty and kind, and you're smart. you're so fun to watch win the spelling bees. i'm sad that you care what these girls think, but i understand. you're so much more than what ruby and josie tell you to do."

y/n stared at him. "i was hoping you'd say something like that." he chuckled.

"so does that mean you like me too?" he asked.

"yes it does, gilbert," y/n said. she kissed his cheek. he blushed a little bit, and smiled at her.

after waiting for a year, and being rejected at all times, he finally got his girl. and he wasn't about to let her go because of josie and ruby.