jealous | jerry baynard

it was a warm spring afternoon, and you just got out of school. your pink dress fluttered in the breeze as you pulled your jacket on.

"would you mind if i walked you home?" a boy asked you. you turned around to see gilbert blythe smiling at you. you returned the smile.

"sure, gil," you replied. gilbert is your best friend. you both do everything together. he's like the brother you never had.

as you both walked, you talked about everything. school, friends, the horrible teacher mr. phillips, and your families.

"how's jerry?" gilbert asked you. he wiggles his eyebrows, and you rolled your eyes. jerry baynard, the cuthbert's farmhand, is your boyfriend. but something seems off with him lately.

"he's alright," you shrugged. gilbert senses your hesitation, and stopped.

"what's going on? tell me now." he raised an eyebrow. you looked at him.

"no, nothing, i just think something's wrong. he doesn't talk to me that much," you responded with a sad look.

"cmon, we're gonna go talk to him," gilbert said and took your hand. you tried to escape, but his grip was too strong. pretty soon, you two were walking up the road to the cuthbert's farm.

when jerry saw gilbert walking up to the barn, with your hand in his, that was the last straw. jerry threw down his pitchfork and clambered down the wooden barn steps.

"i see you found a new boyfriend," jerry spat at you. gilbert quickly let go of your hand.

"no, it's not like that," gilbert protested, and you nodded along with him.

"he just made me come over here to see what's going on with you! you're so distant lately and it makes me wonder if you still like me!" you exclaimed. jerry stared at you.

"i'm just wondering why you're always off hanging around with gilbert! you're too busy to notice me, or to come say hi! i never see you anymore, and i miss you!" jerry yelled back. gilbert has never felt more awkward in his life.

"oh for pete's sake, jerry, gilbert is basically my brother!! i love you!!" you replied, but then realized what you said. you clamped a hand over your mouth, and your cheeks were a deep red.

"you love me?" jerry questioned softly. gilbert looked from you to jerry, and back to you. you nodded.

"i do," you whispered. jerry laughed, then he jumped forwards, holding you in his arms.

"mon amour, i love you too," he whispered in your ear. you hugged him tighter, and kissed his forehead.

"ah, yes, true love," gilbert teasingly said behind you two. you laughed, and leaned your head on jerry's chest.

"it sure is," jerry murmured. he lifted your chin, and leaned in. your lips met, and you could tell this kiss was different. you felt passion, and you knew that jerry was everything you've ever wanted.