Chapter 10

It was three days later that I got another visit from CURRENT. I wasn't appreciating how they decided to drop by any time they wanted.

The sun was beginning set when I heard a knock at the door. I bounded over and threw it open, expecting Sadie. I was met with a chapped pair of lips and hardened eyes. It was the same man and woman who came last time, they stood stiffly, hands hanging down their sides.

"Mrs Haleton, may we come in?"

I nodded, gesturing for her to enter.

"Have you thought about our proposal?" The man asked, his steely voice cutting through the air. I gave him a sideways glance before nodding.

I grabbed the briefcase of money I had put in the back, setting it down carefully on the table.

"I've thought it over and I've decided, I want nothing to do with this. I respect your organization and whatever but I barely know Oscar. He doesn't seem like the most open person. I don't think this will go anywhere and I'm uncomfortable with the situation. So thanks, but no thanks."

The man gave me a cold, hard look.

"Mrs Haleton." He sighed, slowly, as if I were child and he were trying to explain something to me. I didn't like that.

"We're completely aware of your meetings with Oscar. We're also aware that you've convinced your grandmother to leave on a two month trip to Montana."

My throat ran dry.

"I think you might've gotten the wrong impression of us. We'd never resort to forcing you to help us. However, you would be of great asset if you were to join our side. You see, we've something here that might change your mind. We understand that Oscar might have given you some false information but do not be mistaken, that boy is dangerous."

I raised an eyebrow.

He opened his brown leather bag, sliding out a document, before he flipped it around, opening it so I could see what was inside.

"Your parents died in a front collision on the 8th of March, 2009. Correct?" I nodded numbly, not understanding why he would be bringing something like that up. He eyed me, his eyes glinting. My heart ran cold in that small instance and I immediately knew something.

He was anticipating whatever I was about to find out with pleasure.

"The man who collided with your parents that night, did not have a legitimate license. He had been taken off the road for ill-eyesight. This was the man who crashed into, and killed your parents."

I suddenly felt sick, air rushed to my head. He was pulling up memories I didn't want to remember.

"That man was called Elijah Redding. Oscar's grandfather killed your parents."

I felt something that I registered as shock run through my body. It felt like every muscle and organ in my body stopped in that split second. I blinked slowly, my vision taking in but not registering. It felt like I had been hit with a bucket of ice cold water, it soaked into me, running through my veins.

I felt nothing

And everything at once.

"Why tell me this." I choked out.

"We want you to understand that Oscar is not your friend. He kept this from you, he needs you to trust him. He wants to use you, Finley." The man said calmly, every word a knife that pricked at my skin.

"Why would he want to use me?"

"Because it could go either way Finley. You could ruin him, or save him." The man leaned over the table slightly. "Did he tell you the only condition of traveling through that time loop?"